Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Garden Of My Heart: Hardened Hearts



"Then he climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. They were totally amazed, for they still didn’t understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in." Mark 6:52

Yesterday while in my garden, God really revealed some aspects of hidden sin to me. I decided to go out later and check on my squash plants. I had after all done some major surgery on them. Excising the borers when possible, covering the exposed part with new dirt (and a little prayer), and giving them much needed water love. Unfortunately, when I returned, one of my plants looked like this:


(Again, not my actual plant. I need to figure out how to put my pics in here!)

I sent the pic to my gardening mentor and asked her if there was any hope of it making it. Nope, probably not. But I could try. And the verse at the top of this post came to mind. And I was reminded: sometimes it's too late.

If you ignore the conviction of the Holy Spirit or just the good sound advice from Godly friends, you are slowly but surely cementing the damage done in your heart. Even the disciples missed understanding important concepts because their hearts were hardened.

After doing some research (read: asking my friends who know the Bible and using YouVersion) I found that our hearts can be hardened on our own:
"But Pharaoh hardened his heart this time also, and did not let the people go." Exodus 8:32

Or sometimes it's God:
"But the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he did not let the people of Israel go." Exodus 10:20

I'm not sure why this happens. Why would God harden our hearts to the point where we can no longer turn to Him? Why do we do that to ourselves? But clearly, it happens. File this under "Trust not in your own understanding..."

I hope I never ignore the voice of God no matter how it shows up, but especially to the point where some part of my heart dies and can't be recovered.

I'm going to lose that plant. It even had some promising looking squash on it. =(

2 comments:

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

Good, good words, my friend. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

http://www.christiansagainstnike.com/