Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Joshua 1:9...And Then Some

The thing I love most about God's word is that no matter how many times you read it, there's always something new to learn, to expand on or just plain something new to read. I've read stories in the girls storybook Bible lately and thought, "Really? That story is in there? Never heard it." It's a bizarre feeling for some one who has been reading the Bible (at least on and off) for nearly 35 years.

This past August when I was considering homeschooling the girls after Terry gave me the go ahead, I decided to pray and fast over the issue for a few days. I was thrilled that homeschooling was now an option, and I didn't intend to take it lightly.

On the third day during my quiet time, this was the verse I read in my devotional:

This is a command! Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. Joshua 1:9

Still, one of my favorites. And when I have a rough day, I remember it. Because He promised. I'm not in this alone.

So, yesterday during my morning time, my YouVersion reading plan brought me back into Joshua. Woohoo! I love Joshua 1:9! But before verse 9 is verse 8. (Go figure.)

Study this book of instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in everything you do. Joshua 1:8

Well, THERE is some good information to have. BEFORE I get to be strong and courageous, without fear or discouragement, I might need to spend some time in God's word. Meditate day and night and obey.

I do want to be successful and prosper. Especially with homeschool because my kids are depending on it. And while I've been pretty good about starting my day with God, I'm still not great. I think God wanted me to see that verse 9 is in no way a stand alone. Neither is any other verse in the Bible. It's all so beautifully interconnected. It's the flowing, breathing and living Word of God.

Of course the kicker is, now that I "see" a little more. I'm held more accountable. I can tell you what I'll be placing a high priority on tomorrow morning. Because God does what He promises. =)

**On a side note, if you know something more about this passage than has been revealed to me, let's stick with" ignorance is bliss" until I get the hang of this.

1 comment:

maureen russell said...

I LOVE this! I ADORE this! First, what a great writer you are! Second, we never see verse 8, we only see verse 9 - it makes so much sense! Thanks for writing! (I get to be Robin's neighbor everyone... I know you're jealous.)