Sunday, May 29, 2011

From House to Home

As I was getting ready for my run this morning, I walked through the house getting my gear on and listening to the quiet. (If you have or have had young children, you understand the necessity of reveling in any quiet you can find during the day.) I ran into the powder bath and looked at the lamp wondering how long it would be until the bulb went out, and do I have any replacements, when I looked up and noticed the spray glitter all over the wall. This last Christmas, Santa (ahem) brought both of the girls spray glitter for their hair and my mother in law sprayed their hair with it in the powder bath so they could see the results instantly. I saw the results... all over the walls. I remember at the time thinking, "I'm going to have to paint over that at some point." Today I smiled at the memory of them giggling in the bathroom with their grandmother and thanking her for making this house even more our home that day.

Some days I look around at the places where we have dings in the walls, stain chipped on the cabinets, spots on the carpet and have a moment of "can't we keep anything looking nice?" But perspective is important; is it not? Those are the things that make this The Storch Home. Not just the place we happen to keep our stuff. They are the memories we keep safely tucked away and don't realize how important they are until a major catastrophe happens. (Such as someone losing every thing they own in a tornado.)

Today, and from now on, that place upstairs where the wall is clearly patched up since we still haven't painted over it, will be the place where the Reia, Reese, Audra and Zoi perfected their cartwheels on the bed while falling into the wall and creating a hole. We now laugh about it while remembering the fun we had with the Havens family.

The chip in my cabinets won't be something to sigh about but smile about since the girls spent hours after receiving scooters from Gran at Christmas riding around and around and around the kitchen squealing with delight. Outside toys inside? You bet!

Spots on the carpet? Honestly, I don't know and I'm pretty sure I don't want to. Dang dog.

Our house isn't perfect by any means, but our home is. It's the place we live and love and make messes. And I am so very thankful.

4 comments:

Kristie Vinson said...

Thank you for reminding me of this...

Brian Russell said...

Good stuff...especially since I'm sure our boys have caused some of the dings and stains.

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

Totally agree - I used to love to step over the mess the kids had made and smile thinking about how much fun they had! Its so great to laugh about the mishaps that make a house lived in like a pair of favorite, faded jeans! Love you!

Lorren Says... said...

Love this...and loving that you haven't painted over the patch because that means you can't forget about us. Ha! I can see the girls doing cartwheels and slamming into the wall...I'm sure they blamed the whole incident on Reese. :)

Hope you're having fun on your vacay!