Sunday, July 11, 2010

Waiting Quietly

I am waiting on something.

A very large movement of the Holy Spirit on my behalf.

I'm also a complainer and not very patient. So, I could only smile at God's humor and at myself when I read my devotional from Elisabeth Elliot earlier this week.

Few of us enjoy having to wait for something we want. It is human nature to desire instant gratification, and it is divine nature to do many things very, very slowly. Growth is always imperceptible. But the farmer exercises long patience in waiting for his crop. He has done his work and is assured of the result, hence he waits quietly. He is at rest because the outcome (barring disastrous "acts of God") is certain. If we could simply remember that this is true of everything--that God's purposes are slowly being worked out for his glory and our good--we would, like the farmer, keep faith and wait quietly.

Lord, take from us all fretting and hurrying and teach us to rest our hearts in the "ultimate certainty" (Jas 5:7 JBP).


You talkin' to me? Well, of course he is. I am not only to wait, which in itself requires I learn patience and trust in the will of God, but I am to do it quietly. To which I almost "bwahahahahaha"d at God. He knows me too well. But then I remembered Sarah who laughed at God (on the inside even) and was heard. By God's angels. And God, who called her on it. (Gen 10:18) Ahem. I didn't bwahahahaha just in case.

So, quietly.

I asked God to show me when I was complaining, worrying or fretting (as Elisabeth calls it.) After about 30 minutes, I asked him to stop. The noise was deafening. I see now the complaining isn't just in my voice, but in my heart.

Our hearts are a tricky place I've decided. Still, mine is a dwelling place for the Holy Spirit. I'd be naive not to think he'd be constantly cleaning up the place.







4 comments:

Mandy said...

Love this part, "I asked God to show me when I was complaining, worrying or fretting. After about 30 minutes, I asked him to stop. The noise was deafening." I can relate and am trying to change those thoughts in my own heart and head as well. A beautiful honest post!

Cindy Beall said...

I can relate.

It's like I need to walk in gratitude almost constantly so that I can remember how much I do have...relationships, possessions, everything.

Lorren Says... said...

Waiting....if it were easy, I would do it!

Life is crazy that way...the things that are the most difficult and we need to improve in are the things that just take practice. Does that make sense? For me, it's telling people how I feel if I'm upset and not holding it in until I explode one day. I'm not good at confrontation, but if I don't practice speaking the truth in love, I'll never be good at it!

Great post...love you and miss you terribly!

Kristina said...

Thank you for sharing. I can relate.