Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I am Changed

At the beginning of this year, I wrote a post about my three words for 2010. One of them was change. I wanted to be a different person at the end of 2010 than I was at the beginning. I had no idea what event God was going to use as a catalyst for that change.

A little over two months ago my 13 year old niece, Taylor, was killed in a snow skiing accident in Colorado. The two weeks following her accident were tremendous. I saw a depth of grief I could never have imagined and a fullness of God's love you can only see (I believe) when you walk through the deepest valleys.

I spent time reminding my sister in law, Tara, that our God was still the same God he was before they left for Colorado, and frankly, reminding myself in the process. There are truly no words on the lips of man that can comfort a mother who has lost her child. None.

As we left Texas to return home from Taylor's funeral, I knew I wouldn't be the same person again. I didn't want to be. I was changed, but even now, I am still seeing the depth of what God is working out in me because of her life.

I haven't written much about Taylor's death because I just didn't know what to say. It's tragic. It's incomprehensibly sad. But, I can also see the hand of God in every bit of what has happened since she walked into eternity.

Lives were saved through her organ donation and countless more will be saved through the Taylor's Gift foundation her parents have started in her memory.

God is giving many of Tara and Todd's family and friends the opportunity to be His hands and feet to them as they walk this journey.

Every one who knew her or knew of her is changed. Her life has helped us to see beyond ourselves. Beyond our own selfish plans and desires to those plans and desires God has for us. And ultimately, it is about HIM.

He will be glorified; make no mistake about it.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and your life-change. You are part of bringing beauty to an otherwise tragic and unexplainable loss of life. Love you!

Christi said...

Ok, this made me cry. Seeing your family from the outside looking in, I have seen such courage and love. Robin- I love you so much...the person who you are and the person you are becoming. Your "Change" has inspired me more than you know. Taylor is affecting people in so many positive ways.

Lorren Says... said...

I know you are a huge comfort to Taylor's family. It's so awesome that you are willing and available to allow the Lord to use you. Love you, friend!!

P.S. This made me cry, too.