Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Sometimes the Answer is "No"

Today I went to the dentist for a crown.

I did not have the greatest experience last time I had a crown because they were unable to completely deaden my palette. I could feel just about everything. The final solution was a shot in the roof of my mouth. The dentist at the time said, "This is going to hurt." And it did. I decided at that moment, I should get to throw out a few choice explicatives just because.

So, when I went into the dentist several weeks ago and was informed I was going to have to have another crown, I tried not to panic. I basically didn't think about it until the dentist office gave me a reminder call yesterday. Then, I panicked.

First was an email to my BSers. Then I just prayed like crazy for 12 hours with a nightmare thrown in for good measure while I was sleeping. (The nightmare, for the record, included my dentist's office leaving me in the chair for over eight hours waiting on my Novocaine shot while they watched Spongebob Squarepants. Who can resist a yellow fellow who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Right?)

While I was in the chair two shots down, I tweeted for more prayer. Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, let me be spared the shot in the roof of my mouth. Because the two previous shots? Once again, not working. Boo and Hiss.

I threw my iPod in, put on a little John Mayer, and begged. "Please God, let this stuff kick in!"

And you know what? It didn't. The answer was no. Cue cussing like a sailor and crying like a little girl because I was not happy. And cry I did. God bless the dentist; he looked at the assistant and asked me if I wanted some nitrous oxide. I just told him I would do whatever would help this situation. His response, "It's still gonna hurt, but you won't care quite as much." Well, ok then.

So, yeah, the shot still came. It still hurt. But sometimes life just hurts. Sometimes you have to go through pain (a shot in this case) to be healthier (a new tooth that doesn't hurt when I eat.)

But most importantly, God is still here. He still loves me. And He gave some wonderful inventor the idea for nitrous oxide.




4 comments:

Cindy Beall said...

Dang. Sounds like you and me need to venture out to the mall or something today or tomorrow. I have no money to spend, but still...I'd be away from my children. So, yeah, it's really about me and not your sore mouth. I do love you, though.

BV said...

Reminds me of that guy, Paul, in the Bible. He asked 3 times for a thorn to be removed before God told him, "no...my grace is sufficient for you." http://read.ly/2Cor12.8.ESV

Robin said...

Yeah, that Paul guy had it way rougher too. =)

Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

I'm sorry you had such a tough time. I'm grateful to God for giving you the grace to bear it, and for showing Himself to you in it. Sometimes the answer is "no" which makes the truth that "nothing will ever separate us from the love of God" even sweeter. As much as I've ever hurt, I've been comforted with the knowledge that even THiS can't separate me from His love.

Also, I'm available to chaperon that mall trip. Just puttin' it out there.