Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas: Thoughts from an 8 Year Old

One of my favorite things about Christmas is getting to play Santa. I really don't spoil my kids with toys and goodies all year long so when their birthdays and Christmas come around, I like to just have fun with it. Right now I am waiting on the girls to fall asleep so Santa can get busy, and frankly, go to bed herself. What? You didn't know Santa was a chick?

Anyway, in spite of my love of all things Christmas and getting to buy the girls things they've wanted all year, I am ready for Reia to figure things out. It's getting hard for me to reconcile the fantasy of Santa with the reality of Jesus. She turned eight today and I know she's heard kids talk. I keep waiting for her to ask some good questions that will lead to her knowing the truth. (No, I cannot bring myself to just tell her. So, don't ask.)

Tonight, we were sitting on the couch watching Elf, which is my favorite Christmas movie by the way. She looks at me and asks, "If Santa goes all over the world, how is it that some kids don't get presents?"

I was very excited! Except that Reese was sitting next to me. Since she just turned five, I'm not quite ready for her to know the truth yet. So, I told Reia, "If you really think about it, I bet you can figure it out. Here in a little while when we are alone, we can talk about it."

"Ok." She responds and I can tell her wheels are turning. I am so happy! Yay! She's gonna see it, and although I will be a little sad, it's probably time.

After a few seconds she looks at me and says, very matter of factly, "I know. They're all on the naughty list." And turns back to the tv to finish watching Elf.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. Even if you are on the naughty list.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Girrrl! Not yet it's too soon!! She'll be distraught...and then you'll be sad she knows because the "Magic" will be gone. Then it will turn into, Mom buy me this this and this. And quite frankly, that's no fun! Some kids told V. at school too but I just reassured her that they were clueless. :-) Happy Birthday to Reia!!

Actually, I'm up on the computer writing a letter from Santa to V. because she has questions. :-) Like what is his favorite holiday? Then says ps - write me back on leave it on my couch when you come. H.e.l.l.o! LOL!

Lorren Says... said...

So cute!!! Love that Reia-girl.