Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Weekend in Toronto!

Terry and I had the luxury of having a little time away and alone together (thanks to my wonderful Mother in Law) last week. We traveled to Toronto, Canada. I keep getting the question: So, what did you do? And usually, my brain gets so overwhelmed with all that we did I can't even come up with anything to tell them. I've just started saying, "Everything. And we walked everywhere." Really, that's only a slight exaggeration.

So I decided to make a list of the top bullet points of our trip. If I decided to blog about everything, I'd have blog fodder for a few months. And I may still, but for now, and in no particular order, here you go.

1. The squirrels in Toronto are black. Terry kept telling me I was a racist for even noticing, but they were beautiful. So there.

2. I was almost hit by a DHL van while walking through Kensington Market. It was a scene straight out of Seinfeld with the van hopping the curb to the sidewalk in an attempt to avoid another van. Apparently, DHL guy thought I was protected by some invisible super bubble.

3. They call the restroom the washroom. I was happy to realize it translated well and I was always directed to the proper place.

4. If you ask for iced tea, you are brought Nestea in a can. Real tea was the first thing I had when we got to Chicago.

5. I rode a subway for the first time and had crepes for the first time.

6. No matter what tourist attraction you see, they snap your picture in front of a green screen at the beginning (so you can buy a pic of you in front of said attraction) and dump you in the gift shop at the end.

7. Seeing the Stanley Cup in person is really cool even if you don't really follow hockey.

8. If the Dead Sea Scrolls come to your area museum, go see them. Incredible.

9. Everyone at Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls looks like Teletubbies once they cinch the hood of the poncho.

10. Toronto has a Whole Foods and a Costco. Therefor, I love it.

11. Our waiter at Jamie Kennedy's Wine Bar, while giving us tips on other places to eat, said another restaurant's food was so good it was "retarded". He was from Australia, so he sounded cool.

12. We actually started getting AT&T coverage on the Canadian side of the Niagara. That was a nice surprise.

13. I was still happy to be home and see my girls when it was all over. Thanks Terry for a great weekend!


4 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

I'm jealous!! It sounds like you guys had a blast. Loved reading your bullets...you are hilarious!

Nicole Knox said...

I am so glad you guys had fun=)

Leslie said...

Hi Robin,

How are you doing? We are moving churches again, and for a while contemplated doing Lifechurch.tv. So I was thinking about you.

I'm once again entering the blogging world.

Runningmama said...

Black squirrels, huh?

I love your observations. Those are the exact kind of things I remember from trips-- the little odd stuff that amuses me for o particular reason.

I would LOVE to see the dead sea scrolls.