Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Because I Didn't Want to go to Hell, That's Why

I grew up in a very traditional Southern Baptist church. And the summer after I turned seven, I walked the aisle at Vacation Bible School professing Jesus as my Savior. My understanding was limited and frankly, I was trying to get out of hell. Looking back it was more of a "get out of hell free" walk. None the less, God took me and my itty bitty faith and understanding, and managed to keep me close to Him for many many years before I finally understood that how I walked my life on this earth was also important. Life wasn't just about the end result.

Last night at the dinner table Reia just pops up and says, "Mom, last week at church I asked Jesus to be Lord of my life." And then she continued eating her fish. Needless to say, my eyebrows went up and I started to ask a few questions.

I asked her why she has made that decision. She informed me in a very round about seven year old way, that she wanted to be more like Jesus and do the things that would make Him proud, and for Him to lead her in life.

Not a word about hell. (That did come up when Terry asked his questions to her when he got home.)

Needless to say I was ecstatic about her decision. It's something Christian parents pray for from the day their kids are born. But my prayer has never been that she would "become a Christian". My prayer has always been that my girls would seek Him, love Him and want to be closer to Him each and every day. Because if they are doing those things, with all of their hearts, I have no worries as to where I will find them when we leave this earth.

And to the God whom I love and trust: thank you for this amazing answered prayer.

**Special note to Lifechurch.tv kids peeps: you are such a blessing. God has used you to plant seeds and help this decision along. So happy to partner with you!

11 comments:

Kristie Vinson said...

YEAH!!!!

Nicole Knox said...

This makes my heart happy.

Amy said...

This post made me smile. How exciting for you and Terry!

Cindy Beall said...

Love. This.

Lorren Says... said...

SO awesome!!! :)

Susie said...

So happy for your sweet girl!

Amanda Hyden said...

So so so blessed by this story. Thanks so much for sharing! Rejoicing with you for the decision Reia has made. So thankful to be a part of stories like this!

Miss Amanda

Robin Meadows said...

Warms my heart!

Dusty Takle said...

Completely awesome.

skydaddy said...

Rejoicing with you and the angels!

A few months ago my littlest one said from the back seat, "Daddy, I wish I could take Jesus out of my heart for a minute."

"Oh, really?" I asked. "Why?"

"So I could HUG'IM!"

Amber said...

Awe - I just love it. Yay Reia!!!