Tuesday, July 14, 2009

My Thoughts on Getting Older

I was leaving Braum's the other day with milk and bananas in hand while a group of, let's call them, mature women came in. They were all at least in their 70's, giggling like school girls and having a good time while discussing what burger and milkshake was on the agenda for lunch.

I thought, for as much as women detest the thought of getting older, or elderly even, it IS going to happen. I do want to take care of myself and my skin so that I will, at the very least, not look older than I actually am. However, I don' t want to be one of those women. You know, the ones who celebrate the 20th anniversary of their 29th birthday; or ask their grandkids to call them by their first names as opposed to Grandma or Grammy; or still dress like someone in their 20's when they are clearly not in their 20's.

I want to do this thing gracefully, realistically, and with some dignity for heaven's sake. My girls need to see that aging and hopefully gaining wisdom and perspective along the way is a good thing and not something to run away from or be admonished.

So, without further ado, here are a few things I look forward to about getting older:

#1: Having my hair set once a week and not jacking with it a moment more. I get so sick and tired of washing, blow drying, coloring, straightening, and spraying my hair. I realize I don't HAVE to do those things, but I don't want to look like a drowned or greasy rat every day when I walk out the door.(And I still need to look attractive to Terry for a while anyway.) I will have a standing appointment at the beauty parlor once a week. I will look all gorgeous when I walk out and hope it stays that way for the next 6 days.

#2: Never again repeating the phrase, "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips". Because really, how much longer is that lifetime at that point? Bring me a burger, fries, and milkshake. I will try to work them off after my nap later.

#3: A moderate walk is really good exercise. Now, in order to feel like I have worked out, I have to run three or more miles, do 50 minutes of yoga, or do Jillian's Shred DVD. I see my neighbor Ralph when we go for our runs in the mornings. He's just strolling along, happy as a clam, NOT KILLING HIMSELF running a 10 minute mile. He probably eats bacon after his workout too.

#4: Not having to buy the trendy or cute stuff. No one wants to see their 70 or 80 year old grandmother in skinny jeans or a low cut sundress. I'm not saying we shouldn't dress nicely, but let's get a grip on appropriateness, shall we? (However, if you happen to look like Sophia Loren does at her age, but all means wear what ever you please. The men stopped looking at the rest of the normally aging women who aren't their wives eons ago.)

#5: Grandchildren...because I will spoil them rotten, load them up on sugar and send them home.

Getting older is going to be great! I am so thankful that God has blessed me with the length of time I've had already. Wasting my time trying to not get older is no longer on the agenda.

If you happen to read this and you are already in the "mature" women group(and no, I have no idea when that start exactly) what is your favorite thing about getting older? I want more stuff to look forward to!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we go to the beauty parlor together? Right after we visit OUR grandchildren and send them home sugared up with Seth and Reia?

Cindy Beall said...

Woops. That was me above.

Mama Hen said...

Oh, I cannot wait to get to go to the beauty parlor and get my hair done! Do you know the age when you are allowed to start doing that?

kimberly t. bowling said...

came over from boomamas link about the water bottles...clever idea, intend to begin it with the kids tomorrow, myself! :)

And I had to comment on this post as well...my mom gets her hair "done" every Friday...just in time to look good for any events on the weekend and church on Sunday!

Oh, to only worry with a standing appointment to have someone else wash and blow dry once, weekly!! :)

Roxanne said...

Wow...my Granny has had her weekly appt. at the "beauty shop" for as long as I've been born! She would'be been in her 40's at that time!

Carol said...

Robin: I love your blogs. Look forward to tons of respect and the age group of 20-40-ish just adoring you! I gave up "Mom-hood" and am strictly a phenomenal Grandma to the grandkiddos + dogs, cats, hamsters, you name it! My passion!

Robin said...

LOL - what a great outlook you have!

PEZmama said...

I run a ten-minute mile. And it nearly does kill me. What does this say about me?


BTW, I think about you often when I run (mostly, I think of how all the people I know who run must really be crazy, but that's not the point) and I was thinking I should stop over here and say "hi" and "hey. I'm running and it always brings you to mind." So,

Hi.

And, I'm running.

And thinking about you.

:-)

Kim Heinecke said...

I'm just getting back around to catching up.... LOVE this list. I want to be in your old woman club.