Monday, June 15, 2009

Ready for Etsy?

I seem to have some funky creative mojo going on right now. I really wish the above picture did it justice, but this is the gift the girls and I made Terry for father's day this year. 

While attending the Dynamic Church conference in Frisco, Texas we stayed at the Embassy Suites and got to look at the unique and modern artwork hanging in the hotel. There was one piece Terry and I really liked. As usual, I thought to myself, "I could do that." Of course, I normally can't. I don't have the gift of the artsy or the fartsy in my blood, and those things that look so easy, usually aren't.

This time, however, I thought I'd give it a shot. Terry needed a piece for a large wall in his office. Off I went to Hobby Lobby (AKA: The Mother Ship) for a canvas, print I thought Terry would like, mod podge and coordinating scrapbook papers. 

I consulted with Mandy over at Messy Canvas to see if she had any additional ideas to help my project be super fabulous. Because let's face it, I can't re-do it once the glue went down and can't return it if Terry doesn't like it either.

What I thought was going to be a week long project was finished in an afternoon. I was surprised at the vision I had for the piece and how I let myself get all gross with glue. I finally stopped wiping off my hands since it seemed to be part of the creative process. (I did keep a wet rag handy for when glue hit the table. That stuff is sticky.) 

Terry gets home on Monday from Paris. I won't get to see his reaction since the girls and I will be long gone in Dallas for the next week. I hope he likes it, and I'm seriously half-tempted to make some more pieces and give Etsy a try. =)

3 comments:

boomama said...

That is AWESOME. Did you use Modge Podge? Normally I just paint, but I might try to tackle Modge Podge if I could do something that funky. LOVE IT.

Lorren said...

***whistling*** Very nice!!! Me likey!!

Natalie @ I AM (not) said...

great job sister!! Missing you!