Thursday, June 11, 2009

Anxiously Waiting


I started several tomato plants for a container garden several months ago. When we went to Dallas last month, we stopped by mom's house. And while my tomato plants were all but dead, hers looked amazing. They were all bushy and gorgeous with tons of flowers, so I said "I love you, mom. It really stinks you have 13 green thumbs and I have NONE." 

She loves me of course, and when I came back at the end of the weekend, she had this little gem for me. A tomato plant that was gorgeous and bushy and already had 10 tomatoes on it. (She bought it at a grocery store of all places.) Needless to say, I came home replanted it, planted marigolds around it to help with the bugs and watered it with Miracle Grow. Just. Like. My. Momma. Said.

Here is my beautiful plant. It makes me happy just looking at it. Up to this point I've been waiting on all of the tomatoes to turn red. I've even consulted the experts about when in the world these things were going to be edible. I was assured the nights have just been too cool. So you can imagine my delight when I came outside and saw them like this....


They are turning red!!! Looking forward to some tomato and avocado salad very soon.

2 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

haha...the "experts" :)

See? You DO have a green thumb! And remember, Texas is in a warmer growing zone,so everything there is always ahead of us.

Can't wait to hear about your tomato and avacado salad!!

Lorren said...

Mmm..tomato and avacado salad sounds divine! Keep up the good work!