Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Good and Bad of Getting Older

Today I was schlepping up the stairs at the middle school on my way out for lunch time bliss, and in doing so, I fell UP (yes, up) the stairs.

There were suddenly several students looking at me and asking if I was okay. I was highly impressed that they weren't laughing. Maybe they did when I finally picked myself upright and grabbed my beast of a bag and continued on my way. Who knows? I don't really care.

Then it dawned on me. If that had happened while I was an actual student at said middle school, I would have been beet red with embarrassment replaying the scene over and over in my mind for weeks. Who saw me? Who told other kids?

Today, I wasn't embarrassed; I was just immediately sore.

3 comments:

Runningmama said...

That is the funniest post I have read all day. "Schlepping"? That is the BEST word for going up school stairs. Were you wearing flip flops?

Here's to being mildly sore. It beats humiliation any day. And its darn funny.

molly said...

teachers and their dern bags! hilarious story...

Lorren said...

At least you didn't fall DOWN the stairs! That would have been way worse.