Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Budding Obsession

Before I start on this post, tomorrow is the 4 year anniversary of this blog. Just felt like I needed to make a note of it. Moving on to what this post is actually about....my new container garden.

I've been reading and studying my container gardening book for the past month, so when I walked into the nursery today with the girls today, I got a little excited. Mostly because as we walked around, I knew what I was looking at and understood the information I was reading on the little tabs inserted into the plastic tubs.

I really went just to get some ideas. It is too early to plant the few things I am going to try this year, but when I saw the Juliet variety of tomato plants and the banana pepper plants that were already producing veggies, I just could. not. resist.

I bought two tomato plants, a yellow pepper plant and the great banana pepper plant. Then we high-tailed it over to Lowe's so I could get my economical planters: five gallon and one gallon paint tubs, organic potting mix and paint sticks as temporary stakes.  They were recommended in the book as a great size and frankly, they really appealed to my sense frugality. I want to make sure I can make this work before I spend a lot of money.

What I have now are my beautiful plants...in my bathtub. It's the warmest and sunniest place in the house right now. None the less, here I go with what could be a new obsession pretty quickly. I will keep you posted on how things are going. And we are eating one of the banana peppers in a salad tomorrow! 

4 comments:

dusty takle said...

I LOVE banana peppers. I can usually only get good ones in GA. Hmmm. I'm headin' over to the Storches.

Krystal said...

MMMMM...Hope they grow abundantly! I'm going to attempt basil and cilantro this season.

Lorren said...

Yay! Hope it goes well!!

P.S. I'm hoping you are planning on sending me a life size Edward cut out like June's friends did for her.....yes??

Runningmama said...

You have been blogging for four years??? Oh my wow. I am so impressed with that kind of dedication!!!