Thursday, February 26, 2009

Another Run at Gardening

The first time I tried my hand at gardening was in 2003 or maybe 2004. I was really hoping to have my mother's green thumb. Terry ever so kindly dug out a little plot in our back yard and put in a raised bed for me. My mother came over and helped me plant a few tomato plants, cucumbers and green beans. And then me and my brown thumb entered the picture. Just as my tomato plants were coming up nicely, I came out one day to find many huge green tomato caterpillar bugs had completely eaten every leaf and bud. I was so mad. 

I promptly cut every bug from the stem it was on (I certainly wasn't going to touch them...ewww) and flushed them all down the toilet hoping for a slow painful death. My tomato plants and everything else died pretty quickly though. After that, I just gave up.

Then we moved to Dallas. We had great beds already framed in concrete in the backyard so I figured we'd give it another try. We planted a few pepper plants, a cucumber, and a squash plant. We also planted some cilantro and basil in pots. And, as I'm sure you can guess where this is going, we did manage to keep the bugs off and had a few squash blossoms and one pepper, but that was it.  The cilantro and basil, on the other hand, took off.

So, here we are in a new house. I still have that yearning to change my brown thumb to green. And I am going to attempt another garden.  This time, however, everything will be in containers.

We have plenty of space for a traditional garden, but I don't trust my abilities at this point and I don't want to ruin the sod around our house for nothing. And the basil and cilantro did so well, what the heck? Maybe I was onto something back in Dallas.

Today I bought a book called "The Bountiful Garden" that got many great reviews on Amazon that I couldn't wait for delivery, so I went and bought it at Barnes and Noble. I was able to sit outside in the wonderful warm Oklahoma sun this afternoon and start re-defining gardening for me.

My first plants will be tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and several herbs specifically designed for container gardening. Next stop will be purchasing containers and I can't wait!

Anyone out there garden in containers? Would love some advice!

7 comments:

PEZmama said...

I am getting ready for the garden myself, but not doing containers. My goal is to keep it organic, so I am a little concerned about how to deal with the aphids... they destroyed the only pumpkin plant that produced a fruit last year.

I did see an ad in the coupon section this past week for a blueberry plant that grows in a container... thought about doing that, but I don't know. Sorry I'm no help.

Susie said...

I have absolutely no advice since I can't even keep a house plant alive. I do have a strong desire to develop a green thumb too, but for now I haven't inherited my parents' abilities. For now, I'll check in on you and see how your container endeavor goes!

Cindy Beall said...

Robin Meadows can help.

She can pretty much help with everything, right?

dusty takle said...

Yes, Cindy, she can.

I don't garden. But, I do eat garden vegetables.

PEZmama said...

Hey, my MIL just gave me a copy of Mother Earth News and there is an ad for a container garden pot. It says it self feeds and self waters, "grows veggies, herbs, berries and flowers." It's called the Grow Box. You can look at it at www.agardenpatch.com

Krystal said...

I am so excited for you! I want to try some herbs this year, too! Especially Basil and Cilantro, so good to know it may actually work! Good luck -

molly said...

It's so fun. Good for you!
The kids and I just potted radishes, chives, and basil in some containers. We're keeping them inside until last frost, but they're already sprouting and it's so exciting. I will add...it's much easier to grow flowers than vegetables. Herbs are pretty easy(and smell good too!) but you should try some perennial flowers from seed if you have any sunny spots. good luck!