Sunday, November 04, 2007

More Today

As I was laying in bed one night thinking about life, and Terry, it hit me. This sense of such a deep love. I thought to myself, "I truly love him more today than I did when we got married."

And before you say, "Well duh, I hope so." let me say that I have been told time and time again, as you go along in your marriage, "Love is not a feeling; it's a choice." And maybe that is true at times, but I know what I feel. I am here to say, at least for me, it's both.

I should mention that this particular feeling hasn't always been there. I have had the "I know this is the guy for me" feeling, the "I really WANT you" feeling (aren't honeymoons fabulous?), and the "I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you" feeling. I've even had the "Do I really have to live the rest of my life with you?" feeling after a particularly rough time in our marriage--which wasn't all that long ago.

At that point "Love is a Choice" became my mantra. I laid it at the Lord's feet, because I had no idea how to do this thing--submit and trust and release control (there's a little reveal into my iceberg). And it's still hard, but I'm trying.

All of a sudden, out of the blue, this feeling. It was almost as if the Holy Spirit said, "If you just keep trusting God, and do what he asks in regard to your marriage, you will get so much more than that tiny glimpse of a feeling; you'll feel like that all of the time."

And I'm all over that! Because that first love feeling is great, but I can tell you right now, it's got nothing on what I feel for my husband right now at this very moment.

9 comments:

Clemntine said...

I love that you took the time to write this down. I know *EXACTLY* how you feel, and it's one of the sweetest feelings in the world. Enjoy it!

Cindy Beall said...

How sweet are you! That Terry is a blessed man to have such a wife. Thanks for this post!

Mama said...

Great words and so true. So many women have a hard time admitting that it's NOT all roses. It helps me so much to realize I am not alone in my thoughts on marriage being the journey that it is.

Great words Robin. Thank you!

Terry Storch said...

I am a very blessed man to have a wonderful wife like you.

Susie said...

Sounds like you are in a wonderful place with the hubby! Rejoicing with you. You better get a really good Christmas gift after this post. Hee hee.

{Karla} said...

aww... such a sweet post... and then he comments and just seals the sweetness on this.

Blessings,
Karla

ps - this is the first post that has showed up on my reader from your blog in forever. Then I come over and see you've had tons. Has anyone else had that problem?

Star Molegraaf said...

Hey Robin- I have heard such great things about you from Lorren. I love meeting new friends in this blog world.

I enjoyed your blog and would definitley agree that love is both a choice and a feeling. I think that in the Christian community we have not given enough credit to the God given feelings we have. I think that if God lives in our heart he wants his dwelling place to overflow with love not just choice, and like you can testify to that in my own marriage as well.

I will be putting your new blog address in my favs.

Carol said...

A great perspective!

I often need to remind myself that love is a verb that results in the noun.

"Love"ly post!

PJ said...

Real love gets sweeter with the years (Yeah, there are those rough patches, but you said it...you choose!). It's been 38 years and I never dreamed I would feel this way about him -- even in the roseglow warmth of those first months, I didn't know it could be like this.

Great post!