Sunday, September 02, 2007

Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth

I apologize if you have happened upon this post while looking up a Biblical reference, but I can assure you my experience in Target this morning with my two year old is about as close to hell as I can think of.

I should probably mention that earlier this week Mini-T fell at school which resulted in an emergency trip to a pediatric dentist. She split her gum, needed some antibiotics and was told to eat very soft foods for the next few weeks. Two weeks of pasta. Heaven for this little one.

So, when we walked into Target and she immediately hit her mouth on the bar of the shopping cart while refusing to get in or hold my hand, I should have taken that as a direct sign from God, turned around and walked out. Go straight home. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 or the tomatillo salsa we came in for. But no, we forged ahead.

On the one hand, there were not many people in the store. One would think that this is a good thing. However, do you know how far a screaming two year old's voice travels in a very large mostly empty Target? Completely to the other side, where the noise promptly bounces off the wall like a boomerang and comes right back.

She was defiant and screaming through most of the trip. And I refused to give in. I do quite often, but I realize that is part of the problem. She gets what she wants WAY more often than she should. By the time we were walking toward the checkout, she had two "disciplines" in women's lingerie and accessories. (I wasn't shopping in those areas mind you, but didn't want her to get "disciplines" in front of everyone now staring.)

And staring they were. Normally I get looks of pity. "I understand. " or "Stick to your guns!" is what those nice eyes usually say, but today it was all contempt for this poor mother (me) who has blood on her shirt from the entry incident, has tried her best to keep her two year old contained (which, by the way, is like putting your arms around a tornado and asking it to be still), and get out with the few things she needs. Suddenly, I was angry at them too. Each one just looked as us, hoping, wishing, praying we weren't going to get in line behind them. Now I wanted to stand behind all of them. For a really long time. And tell Mini-me to scream her head off. That'll teach 'em.

I was saved by Ms. Snyder. One of the third grade teachers at school who graciously talked to me and the girls, even Mini-me who scowled at her the whole time. God bless her. And thank God for sending Jesus because I'm sure hell is way worse.....but not by much.

**And before you feel bad that she hurt her mouth and got into so much trouble, let me assure you, one has NOTHING to do with the other.

9 comments:

Susie said...

When my kids were your kid's ages, I unfortunately had many similiar days. Hang in there, it DOES get easier. What a blessing that your teacher friend was there. Have a great week(o:

Kristie Vinson said...

I just a have a big smile on my face. Not because of the trauma you incurred, but just feeling you! Aren't two year old girls fun?!

Michelle said...

Wait until they're 3, then that is even more fun!

Every mom has been there, and those staring, either haven't had kids or forgot whst it was like.

(At least it wasn't Wal-Mart!)

Molly Coddled said...

That sounds like a rough one. Sorry about that. I can assure you, I understand and wouldn't have been staring.

Clemntine said...

Good for you not giving in. I know it's hard, but I also know it's worth it. Hang in there and give me a call if you need to blow off steam.

Kelly said...

Oh my- I can feel your pain! I hate those trips when you are angry at every.single.person, even the poor checkout girl who doesn't even acknowledge that you have a child hanging from your hip screaming while you are trying to swipe the debit card:-)

I remember the first tantrum my daughter threw (it happened to be in the Target parking lot while I struggled to get her baby sister in the carseat and also keeping her toddler self from flying out into traffic in her rage). I was so rattled that I actually called my mom, a counselor, to see if she though my child needed counseling or was possessed- I am not even making that up:-) She laughed and said she needed some "discipline" , which in fact worked wonders.

The good news is that in a few years she will beg you to go to Target and spend the afternoon- I promise:-)

Lorren Havens said...

Hi Robin,
I would have stared and tsk tsk'd my head at you. Just kidding! I'm sorry that happened. :) Very frustrating!

Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

Oh, I hear you loud and clear! My son is almost two and playing the part perfectly. Isn't life grand?! It's a good thing he's so stinkin' cute.

-Andrea

Anonymous said...

Robin, my niece managed to make her terrible twos last from about 1 1/2 to 4, so hang in there - there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Just remember to delight in those moments because they will give you great ammunition at the first dinner she brings a boy to. :) Ain't love grand?