Sunday, June 10, 2007

"Wet's Pway, Way-a"

T has been out of pocket for the last few days, so in an effort to not spend one more moment in the apartment than necessary, I took the girls to McDonald's for "lunch and a little run around like crazy people in the play area" time.

After they had eaten most of their Happy Meals, shoes and socks were shed and the playing commenced. Mini-Me came back over to get one more bite of her plain cheeseburger, (Seriously, whose kid is this?) and Mini-T walked up behind her saying, "Wet's pway Way-a!" Of course Mini-Me was happy to oblige.

And do you know what I did? Pulled my book out and read. And then I realized, I'm now the mom who can sit with her kids at a play area and well, sit. I didn't have to fetch a stuck toddler, or keep a baby entertained in a stroller, or help in any way. Whatever needed to be done could have easily been handled by the 5 (and 1/2, she'll tell you) year old. She even took Mini-T to the potty. And I continued to read.

I will most certainly miss lots of things about my babies. Sweet, precious, can't talk back to you babies. But, I could definitely get used to this....sweet, precious, can talk to you and tell you what's wrong, where it hurts, and how much they love you, children.

8 comments:

Clemntine said...

These are the days, my friend! Sounds like a good time was had by all!

anne jackson said...

i am a plain cheeseburger gal myself, although as of late and feeling the need for no-nutrition iceberg lettuce and lycopene from tomatoes, i have been adding those so-called vegetables to my occasional beefycheesy sandwich.

i am so glad you commented on my little blog tirade. it wouldn't be the same without ya :)

we are off to mockingbird station (as soon as i change out of these day-old clothes)...i will say hello for you.

Rebekah said...

As Clemntine said, These are the days. Enjoy!

Mamma D said...

It is really a great feeling when they are somewhat self-sufficiant. Mine are now 17, 15, 9, 6 and it is hard to remember what they were like as babies... until you go to McD's and see the mom that CAN'T sit and read... enjoy!!

theresa said...

Utter Bliss I tell ya... :)

Susie said...

Sounds like you are getting a little taste of freedom and liking it. Your pictures in the previous post look so fun. I LOVE your house so far. I wish I could find something like that in Victoria, but that might mean doing the unthinkable, like get a job.

cajunquilter said...

ah i remember some of those days. Each season with children is different, each with good and not so good things lol. Like you said it is nice when they start to do things on their own, but you miss the baby days too. Mine are 31, 30, 22 and 17 now, and the grandchildren are 8, 8, 5, 5 so no more babies for awhile :-(. I try to remember to enjoy each stage as they all seem to go so fast.

Shelley said...

That sounds really good. :-)