Thursday, March 08, 2007

Book Club Volume 1: Issue 1

I wanted to think of some really catchy title for this, but it just escapes me. Here we are at the first installment of The Bloggity Book Club. I hope everyone was able to get the book finished and enjoyed reading it. But even if you aren't quite done or didn't like it, please feel free to leave your comments and link to your post anyway. I won't throw eggs at your blog if you 'dis on Beth. (Because really, it would just mess my screen up anyway, and you wouldn't know.) So, without further ado....

...what did I think about Beth Moore's new book, Get Out of that Pit? I'll admit I was pretty distracted at first. So much so that I wasn't sure I was going to be able to relate to this book at all. However, about the third chapter, all I could do was look up from inside the many faceted pit I seem to reside.


What I like about Beth (You don't mind if I call her Beth do you? As if we're best friends or something.) is that she's been there, done that. She's not at all preachy. Instead she's practical. Not only does she let you know how to recognize if you are in a pit, but how to get out. I've already started working on her "Cry Out, Confess, Consent" method. We'll see how they turn out in real life. She is good to note that not all deliverance from a pit is instantaneous. More often it takes time; God's time.

I tend to be very indecisive, or wishy washy if you must. I think deep down I knew so much of what she was saying. I have been to that point of crying out, but had never made up my mind to be utterly loyal to the One who is utterly loyal to me. (Ch. 8) The minute I felt the pressure let up, and small tug out of the mud and mire, I stopped looking up. I forgot who had done the tugging in the first place and that I still had a long way to go. It doesn't take long to sink back in the same ole' stuff.


I usually feel so overwhelmed after a book like this. I feel like I need to "fix" everything I don't like about myself right this instant. But Beth is very reassuring about it not being all about me or all up to me. "The most self-disciplined among us may walk in victory for a few weeks out of our need to do the right thing, but it will rarely carry us to the finish line. Each of us will ultimately do what we want to do."


In other words, I'm not a complete loser. I just can't do it on my own. Whew! I was starting to worry. =)

Now for those of you who have your very own post on Get Out of That Pit, please leave a comment and a link to your post about said book, not just a link to your blog, with Mr. Linky!



25 comments:

Robin said...

Ok, I know I was first on my own blog, but I had to make sure it was working, ok. I'm still not a complete loser. Can I tell you how much I am resisting the urge to say that word like Jim Carrey in Ace Ventura??

Dana said...

Robin, I love your post! Funny, we used about the same quotes - I did that before I even read yours! How funny. Your review is good - I just love Beth so I don't think I could ever give her a bad review :) thanks for hosting!

Girl Gone Wild said...

I totally forgot about that HUGE part that we dont' have to do it all our own. Oh yeah...guess I was too busy doing it myself!

Thanks for doing this, otherwise I wouldn't have read this book.

Justice Fergie said...

Thanks for encouraging me to read a book that I probably would not have read otherwise. Already looking forward to the next one!

Corinne said...

Hi, Robin. I love this book club idea! Great post - I too loved the point that we can't do it on our own and it probably won't happen instantaneously. This was the first Beth Moore book I ever read and I found her to be such an encourager. Thanks for introducing us......

Deb said...

Hi Robin, Thanks for hosting! I too an so glad it is Jesus that delivers us, not our own will power!!

Mary C said...

Hey, Robin! Great idea about the book club and the book choice. I hadn't read any Beth Moore before, and I really liked her style and will definitely read her again!

jewlsntexas said...

Thank you for setting this up - and for initiating this particular book. Beth does indeed make us feel like we are her friend.
I also understand the "need to fix it all right now" feeling. I had a good friend tell me not long ago that you can only concentrate on ONE thing at a time.
Thanks again - I really enjoyed this book.

Nichole...aka Mia's Mommy said...

OK I was not in your blook blub but I did read the book. We are also reading it as a helpmate to get us through our depression on the depression support group on Mom's of Grace. Anyway it is an amazing book and I cannot belive how muhc I related to it. This is also my first Beth Moore book and I found myself wanting to write her and tell her how much she helped me and how much her book encouraged me. That said, I had not intended to do a post about it but I just may now. I truly think that everyone can find something to relate to in this wonderful book.

Nichole

Nichole...aka Mia's Mommy said...

I just did a review. I hope this book touches others as much as it touched me.

Susie said...

I loved the book Robin, and the simulcast Beth did was awesome. I took two friends who I thought would benefit, but it was I who probably needed it the most. Great book. Thanks for letting me join in the fun.

Andrea said...

Thanks for hosting Robin! I got a little wordy on my post but man, Beth's got it goin' on! :) The best part is...we can too - all through God's strength! WOOHOO!
(Can you tell I'm just a little fired up?)

Deena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deena said...

Thank you SO much for selecting this book and for hosting this blogging book club! I drank in Beth's book and found it to be so refreshing and encouraging in a season of dryness and despair...I'm so thankful to God that you did this...so thankful

Sandy C said...

I haven't read the book, but I attended the simulcast event based on the book. The one think about Beth Moore that I love is that she always makes me think...think hard! I didn't even realize the pit I was in until hearing her words.

BooMama said...

Yep. Thanks for hosting. :-) I'm going to get up in the morning, fix me a biiiiig cup of coffee, and make my way through all the links. This is reminding me of our LBY study, you know? Ah, memories... :-)

Melissa said...

Robin,

I linked my review...but I didn't have the sidebar on my blog. Hope that's not a problem. Thanks so much for doing this. Loved your post.

Mama Lily said...

thanks for hosting this. I wouldn't have read this book otherwise. I really enjoyed your post.

kim said...

thanks for hosting this. I've enjoyed reading all the reviews and thoughts. I've read the book myself, although I'm not a member of the book club (not sure what it all entails, don't want to sign up for something I won't be able to stick with ) ...

like the others, I loved this book and Beth's dependence on God, pointing us to the Lord alone to get us out.

I'm struggling with feeling like I'm still stuck and all the other readers seem to be so on their way out, if not out already. I've been trying to pray through the prayers and steps and, as far as I know, I'm as genuine and sincere and firm in seeking Him as I know how to be ... I'm beginning to feel like I won't be able to persevere long enough, to pray "well enough" (I know she doesn't say that, it's my lying emotions that do) ... that I must somehow be doing the steps "wrong" and that I'll be the one who never gets out.

Nise' said...

Thanks for hosting this book club! It has been uplifting, encouraging and down right touching to read everyone's review.

Melody said...

Robin,
Thanks so much for hosting this. I have missed out on every Beth Moore study I have ever been invited to, so I was so glad to be able to jump in on this one! I know I'm late, but that's nothing new!
What book are we doing next???

Beckyb said...

It needs to be said again - thanks so much Robin - this was a wonderful way to share a powerful book - I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

MizB said...

I just finished "Get Out of That Pit!" today, and man, am I impressed! Fantastic book, and totally like Beth was sitting right there holding a conversation with me!

I've come to love Beth's teachings, over the last several years, as I"ve studied several of her books with my church ladies' Bible study group. SHe's really on-fire for God, and it's contagious!

Have ya'll seen her blog? Click:
Living Proof Ministries blog
Her daughter, Amanda, and she both write to it... occasionally the other daughter, Melissa, too! :o)

<>< Mizbooks

TaunaLen said...

This is a little late, because my week was interrupted by my husband's vacation. :-) But I wanted to say thanks for recommending this book. It's my first Beth Moore, and I needed it. Here's to heading up and out, hanging on to God's robe.

~TaunaLen

MizB said...

I now have comments with the NOTES I posted to my blog from the book, "Get Out of That Pit!"... click here.

:)

<>< Mizbooks