Thursday, November 30, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

I haven't posted in a while. I haven't done a TT in what seems like forever. So much so I don't remember how to put the banner up so you'll just have to look at it all plain jane.

I love Christmas and just about every aspect of it makes me ridiculously giddy. The decorations, outdoor lights, the food, the smell of cold in the air (when it actually arrives), shopping for presents, the music, the new traditions we'll start this year and the old ones that have been handed down for generations. (And of course the birth of our Savior, but that is truly a given in our home.)

However, the one thing I cannot stand is wrapping presents. Period. It is the one thing I would pay someone to do if I weren't so frugal/cheap. And here are 13 reasons why:

1. 100 feet sounds like a lot. It actually wraps about 4 presents. 100 feet is 20 of me people. It should cover all the gifts.

2. Bows. Those bows never stay on. I have to use tape plus the sticky plastic thing they come with and they still fall off. Then the presents just look a little retarded underneath the tree with the bows just popped off to the side.

3. Finding boxes. It's enough to make you want to order everything online so they will ship them in a box. Then you don't have to locate one for those odd-shaped items.

4. It takes me all day.

5. If I wrap over several days then I have to keep digging out the paper, tape, scissors, etc and put them up every time.

6. My two year old keeps trying to "help" me.

7. With the scissors.

8. Now I have to go to the Kool Kuts for Kids and get it fixed.

9. I know it will all just be torn off and thrown away anyway. Such a waste.

10. I make really ugly bows. It's just a little sad. I wish I had the bow "touch". Maybe this process would be more fun.

11. Last year I bought a large roll of double sided wrapping paper at Costco.

12. My thought? This is so nice. I can use each side for every other gift and have plenty for the whole season.

13. I have enough for the next 5 years. So, if you get gifts from me, it will be wrapped in the same paper as last year, and the same paper as it will be next year...and the year after.

Because I hate to waste.

I will be more cheerful in my next post. The wrapping will be done by then. =)

8 comments:

Big Mama said...

The scissors and the Kool Kuts cracked me up. You're going to think I'm crazy but wrapping presents is one of my favorite things.

Sarah's In the Midst of It said...

Hmmm. I love UNwrapping gifts. Does that count?

Chris is so slow at wrapping that I end up doing all of his wrapping, too, except for my own gifts. I think he planned it that way:)

Lori said...

I too have purchased some of those jumbo rolls (Target 75% clearance - who can resist?) and have been using them for years. I've always thought it would be fun to have a wrapping party where everyone brings a roll or two and chats and wraps together. Next year!

I might do a more detailed post on my blog later...but in the meantime, here's my favorite tip for those odd-shaped gifts. Use tissue paper and clear cellophane. Start by cutting an appropriately sized square of cellophane, then add 2 layers of tissue paper on top criss crossed, put the gift in the middle, and then grab up the four corners and tie it up with a ribbon (sort of like a Hershey's Kiss). Awkwardness be gone!

And I would highly recommend wrapping sans children ;) Play some Christmas music or your favorite holiday movie and sip some hot chocolate/apple cider/egg nog!

Jennifer said...

Robin you never fail to make me laugh. :) But I do know why we're friends; after helping wrap just one of doors in the preschool tonight for our "Christmas Decorating Par-tay" I was reassigned to another job. Apparently, I wasn't up to FC Preschool wrapping standards and have trouble cutting straight. So I can mark being a professional wrapper off my list of future aspirations. Oh well. ;) Please consider blogging once a week, I love it.

Susie said...

You are so funny! So does this mean you don't like wrapping presents? He he he. I actually love wrapping presents. It is one of the very few crafty things I do well. I don't scrapbook,decoupage(sp?), or decorate with flair, but I can make a mean Christmas bow.

theresa said...

LOL! You just need a lesson from T-Lo. LOL!

Carol said...

Hah! You must be my mother. She never even bothered with bows or boxes. Just sort of swaddled the presents and taped 'em up.

Me, I don't wrap presents anymore. I decorate packages. It takes forever. Don't hate me.

Leslie said...

I am going to pay for wrapped packeges to meet me when I arrive at my parents. We are already spending so much money to come home, this will just be a drop in the bucket.