Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Treading Water

My friend, Julie, is doing a Bible Study on discipleship. Yesterday she was giving me a glimpse into what the study was all about and part of the discussion led to this topic: most Christians aren't discipled and don't disciple others because so many of us are just trying to stay afloat, treading water in our walk.

I agreed with the study and went on. Until later when I realized I couldn't stop thinking about that comment. And you know what? I don't even think most Christians see it--the treading of water. Never making any progress toward an intended goal of being more Christlike and helping others along that same path.

Why are we happy with the status quo? Is it the fear of the unknown? The unknown being what will happen in our lives if we begin, and truly begin, to work at our relationship with Christ. Praying--without ceasing; studying His word; asking Him to reveal what His will is even if it means major and maybe painful changes in our own lives. What are we unwilling to give up? Could be a lot by worldly standards; could be nothing

I don't know the answer. I do know that I fall into this lull, if you will, of being okay with where I am. But deep down, I know I want more. To be more like Him.

But He didn't tread; He walked on water.

2 comments:

janna said...

Discipleship...hmmm...You posed some good questions here. Has the art of discipleship - my definition: a one-on-one sharing of life and how we apply our biblical knowledge to our lives -been lost?

I almost think so. I think it has been lost in the busy-ness of life, which includes the busy-ness of life with church. The foundation of my christian walk began when someone discipled me, showing me the basic tenets of my faith,established me in daily reading of my bible and prayer and got me plugged in to my local church. It was through discipleship that I learned how to dig out the truth about life on my own through word-studies etc.

I would encourage anyone to get involved in this kind of discipleship and then teach someone else. I think the rewards are well worth the sacrifices.

Robin, sorry for the "book" here,I just couldn't stop my fingers from typing on this subject! Thanks for your post!

Jennifer said...

Great post. It made me think of the verse:
Encourage one another, and build up one another, just as you also are doing (1 Thessalonians 5:11)

Discipleship is such an important part of what we are called to do and I think Christians allow day to day to deter us from that all too often. Or at least I do. And it's not just sharing the gospel- but coming alongside those who need guidance. Thanks for the thinker post Robin!