Saturday, September 09, 2006

And How Have You Been?

When I was taking one of my teaching "classes" via alternative certification, we listened to a speaker on organization. He began by describing several personality types. We were supposed to figure out which one we were. I knew the second he started mine.

He held up his hand with all five fingers spread. I thought, "That's about how many items/tasks I can focus on at once."

Then he said, "Some of you can only handle this much on your plate at one time." Like I said,...

He continued. "When a sixth item or task appears, and it is more important than one of the other five, something will fall off the radar until there is again space for it." Uh-huh. Yes, I concur that would be me, and something is about to replace you (speaker) on my list because I am sure I have more important things to do with my mental energy right now.

As of this moment, my five things are as follows:
1)Wife (that pretty much stays at the top unless a mothering emergency happens)
2)Mother
3)Homeschool
4)Homeschool
5)Sleep/Homeschool

Clearly, you can see that Blogging is no where on that list. It would actually rank about 7 or 7b right now. Really, I want to do #5a at this moment, but thought I could take a 10 min break to do a quick 7-7b. I did take a few earlier to write this friend a letter. I say that here, so she knows when she gets it a month from now, it's because I don't have any stamps and even though you can buy them at the ATM for pete's sake, I'll still forget for at least three weeks.

Anyway, homeschooling is more challenging than I anticipated. My public school teacher self is still at odds with my homeschooling teacher self. You would think having been a teacher, HSing would be easier. In reality, it makes it so much more convoluted. Your brain is so trained to "do school" a certain way. HSing is much different. I am still so glad this is the path God has set us on. I can see Mini-me and I both have a lot to learn!

Time's up. See ya'll eventually. (Don't take me off your bloglines just yet. I'll get the hang of the new schedule sooner or later. Maybe I'll just start sleeping less. HA HA HA HA! Ok, really.)

9 comments:

Barb said...

I don't think anyone's going to take you off their bloglines, especially since about 75% of the people out here are home schooling too. I give you a huge pat on the back, Robin. Your list shows your priorities are in order. Hopefully everything will fall into a rhythm soon and you'll even be able to factor in a little sleep, but until then I think we all understand. :-)

Addie said...

Well, since you were probably one of the first people I actually put on my bloglines, you ain't goin' NOWHERE!!!

:D (That crazy laugh at the end there kinda scared me. Get some sleep woman!) ;-)

Lauren said...

Are you kidding me? I've been so busy lately that the less a blogger posts the better. In fact, if you take a month off you'll actually become my favorite blogger. The only people I'm cutting are the ones who post 3 or 4 times a day. Aghhh, who has time for that. I need a nap.

;-)

Sarah's In the Midst of It said...

Oh, I'm feelin' ya. (How'd you like that for some serious lingo?) That's why it's past midnight, and I'm catching up on posts.

Why on earth did you encourage me to blog??? ;)

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

I'm definitely with Lauren and Barb. First you got your priorities in great shape. Second, I'd never bump you anyway. Toni is one of my favorite reads and she posts about every two weeks. She's not going anywhere either, just when I see you or her I sit down and really read what you had to say. Not to worry...

Clemntine said...

Hey, Robin. I just popped in to see what was up. Our home school is up and limping, as well. It ain't easy, but it IS worth it. I got through 9th grade, 4th grade, 1st grade and diapers myself, and all on the first try I might add. I just never had to do them all at ONCE!

I'm actually enjoying implementing the suggestions from Marilyn Howshall (www.lifestyleoflearning.org) and Barb Shelton (www.homeschooloasis.com). Things are a lot less harried around here, and that, as my Pixie would say, is from Jesus.

Anonymous said...

okay this is the test message. now I forgot what I was going to say. blog again soon for goodness sakes!

Anonymous said...

ps that anonymous comment is from me, jen. :)

PEZmama said...

Hey, I love it when people don't post. I can't keep up with everyone's writing, so it doesn't bother me one bit to have the break.

Plus, I'd rather you have your priorities straight, than try to blog and let more important things suffer.

And I am excited to get your letter... whenever it arrives!

P.S. Bloglines won't update your feed for me. What's up with that?