Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Ahh-Ha! Moment

I knew one of the best things about homeschooling was going to see Mini-Me "get it". Whatever IT was. Tonight it was reading.

We are using the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons after it was recommended by more than a few HSing moms. Since we had company over today, we didn't get around to the reading lesson until about 7:30pm. (Thank goodness they only take about 15 minutes each.) So, as we get to the end I see her face completely light up. She points to a word several inches down on the page and just sounds it out and then says it fast.

After I encouraged her she did it with every other word she could read with the limited number of letter sounds we have learned. I don't know that I have ever seen her that excited. She has been so ready to learn to read. I couldn't be more proud!

Goodnight all!

12 comments:

Lori said...

Oh, Robin - how cool! The learning to read stage is a blast - have fun with it. We have kept a journal of every book Ben has ever read. A little exhausting when he was in the picture book stage, but now that it's five years old it's great to look back through it all.

BooMama said...

YAAAAAAY! :-)

Leslie said...

WOW! That sounds great! Loved the responsibility chart you gave Sarah. I'm going to look for one here as soon as I find a place that might have that sort of thing.

theresa said...

Makes it all worth it, doesn't it?

Minnie said...

That is AWESOME! YAAAAAY!

I'm loving that responsibility chart you gave Sarah, too. Where did you get it??

Barb said...

How nice to actually be able to see when the light went on. You'd have missed that if you weren't home schooling. Good for her and good for you!

Susie said...

I am so happy for the both of you. I homeschooled my oldest for kinder and I was so excited when she got it too. You are such a great mommy and obviously a great teacher too.

Addie said...

How Cool is that??? YaaY!!! That is the coolest!

(By the way, you just completely dissapeared from my bloglines this week! Poof! Gone. OK, well now, your back!)

Anonymous said...

That is the BEST feeling in the whole world!! The lightbulb is the whole reason I love to teach. It never gets old watching them light up when they understand! Way to go Reia!
Anonymous aka Jennifer

Sarah's In the Midst of It said...

Hear the angels sing, Hallelujah!

:)Sometimes God just knows when to give you a little pick-me-up, you know?

Sarah's In the Midst of It said...

I mean, He knows EVERYTIME, but you know what I mean, right?

Sheesh.

Wendy said...

I love that book. It has worked for us.

How exciting!