Friday, June 23, 2006

Who Knew...

....I would choose my whole thirty minutes of alone time to blog instead of nap. If you know me well at all, you might just see a flock of pigs outside your upstairs window right now. But I digress.

Two nights. That's all it took for Reese to be sleeping on the floor. I did put her mattress down there lest you think I am the worst mom ever. After our day of being out all day my sweet child took a nap on the 45 minute car ride home. Even though she woke up at 5 pm, I knew she hadn't had enough sleep and decided to go ahead and put her down at 7:30 for the night. Well, I spent the next 3 hours getting her back into her crib. She would crawl out; I would put her back in.

The first three times I was nice and gentle. (In my sweet momma voice) "Reese. It's ni-night time. Stay in your bed and go to sleep." She can't actually lie yet, but I know she said, "Okay, momma," with her eyes. Times 4-10 she did get a swat on the leg with a little more stern, "Child, I would hate to snatch all that pretty hair right off of your head," tone of voice. "Reese, stay in your bed." After #10 she was quiet. I thought she was asleep and went to check on her. She had crawled up into the rocking chair and was just quietly rocking.

This time her eyes said, "I may stay in this room, but I AM NOT staying in that bed." (So stubborn this child. I have not one iota of and idea as to where it comes from. Ahem.) So, I rocked her for a while and put her in bed. Then Terry went in and she was AGAIN in the chair; so, he rocked her. (On a side note: He really enjoyed that. I could hear them talking and singing. It was very sweet. But she didn't sleep for him either.)

The last time she came out and came in the living room it was 10:30. I was tired and ready to go to bed. So I helped her get a little sleepy with my friends Ben and Adryl. (No ugly comments please. About the swats either. Until you've walked a mile in someone else's flip flops...) The next day I cleaned out the crib and put the mattress on the floor.

She is adjusting pretty well. We'll move her to a big girl bed as soon as Terry can help me, which will be after the opening of the building I mentioned in the previous post. I however, am not doing so well. Taking down the crib? No more babies? It makes me a little sad to know that one stage of my life is ending but excited that a new one is beginning. None the less, it is going to happen and would have sooner or later anyway. So, I shall embrace it and stop using "I just had a baby ___months ago" to avoid working out and eating anything deep fried in chocolate with a Dr Pepper chaser.

On another side note: She is supposed to be napping right now, but I can hear her playing. I've been calling from outside her door to get back in bed. Then I hear her little feet, thump thump thump across the room and she falls onto her mattress. At least she is staying in there.

5 comments:

BooMama said...

Oh how I love the line about eating things deep fried in chocolate with a Dr. Pepper chaser.

And glad it's going pretty well on the no-baby bed end of things...it's bittersweet, isn't it?

theresa said...

Internet is finally back up...you go girl! I knew the matress would work!!

janice said...

Sounds like putting my don to bed when he was a toddler. I used to rock him to sleep every night - I know I am terrible! But we both really loved the snuggles. And wow - at least she was in her room for nap time!

It is sad when they grow up, but so nice to see them grow into little people and see their personalities develop.

Stephanie said...

OH MY WORD...my usual comment...she sounds JUST LIKE MY LITTLE ONE!

Too bad I don't live closer cuz the more I hear about her the more I think they are long lost seperated somehow twins or something...

WHAT A CUTIE!

Luckily her crib is nearly impossible to escape from but I have a video monitor and it's fun to watch her try to climb out...I am considering doing the matress on the floor thing too...we have a bed in there but she likes jumping WAY TO MUCH and I worry that in the middle of the night she will jump right off onto her pretty little head...

Toni said...

You'll never hear me say a word about the swats. I keep in Connor's room a giant wooden spoon carved by an Amish man. (What that has to do with anything, I don't know.) It's the Spanking Spoon. Hey, you do what works.