Saturday, June 17, 2006

These Precious Moments

When Terry and I found out we were having a second girl I was very excited. Not only was I going to be able to reuse the 500 tons of clothes collecting in bins in the garage, but Reia was going to have a little sister to share her life with. I wanted them to become fast friends who needed each other, had fun together and could rely on each other.

The reality of it is, not only are they as different as night and day, but relationships of any kind take work. So, I started praying about their friendship. Praying that God will place his hand of blessing on them and help them to see things that I can tell them, but are better off learned first hand. (Like how to appreciate and enjoy each other's differences and rely on the other's strengths.)

I have envisioned my girls sharing a room since Reese was pronounced female. However, since we lived in a newer home, the rooms were small, and they each got their own. Now that we live in an older home and the rooms are substantially larger, the girls will share one of the upstairs bedrooms when Reese is ready to move to a big girl bed. (That isn't too far off by the way.) Over the past few nights, I have pulled out the trundle under Reia's bed; and while Reese and I lay on it, Reia lays on her bed and we read books. Reese has even taken to getting under the covers and acting as if she would stay there. (I tried; she would not.) But in that testing of the waters, I am seeing the most precious relationship bloom. They both peer at each other and giggle and talk to each other. Reia tries to coax Reese into staying with her every night by getting her blankets and dollies. Reese pops up and down from her little trundle to make sure Reia is still in her bed. And while I'm reading Reese tries to make Reia laugh by sticking her finger up my nose. Totally distracts from the reading process, but to hear those two squeal in delight is utterly worth it.

I look forward to these sweet moments turning into an amazing sisterly relationship. It makes watching them grow up so fast more memorable and a little less sad.

5 comments:

Robin said...

I can't remember the rules for lay and lie. So if you are looking for grammatical correctnes, sorry about that if it is wrong. =)

BooMama said...

Well now I've got to go get the Kleenex - AGAIN. :-) Very, very sweet post - and the thought of them giggling together just warms my heart. So sweet.

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

When Barb and I were growing up we had a three bedroom house. Four boys in one, two parents in one so we girls shared. It wasnt always fun - for either of us. Shes 5 years older than me and I was playing mudpies when she as a teen. But we both have the best best memories of lying in the bed at night, with a flashlight under the covers reading. Or lying in bed with Barb singing Elvis songs and rocking it with her feet. Sweet sweet memories. I cant imagine not having a sister. She and I are best friends. In spite of what she did to my Thumbelina doll and my bangs...

Addie said...

Aw, we love the sharing the bedroom thing around here!. I love hearing my two in the morning, in there talking to each other. Sounds like yours are already pretty close.

What a blessing! The magic of sisters. :-)

theresa said...

Major sweetness! Love having sisters and I'm glad V. has one now too.