Friday, June 09, 2006

Blog for Thought

Bloggers have me thinking, or re-thinking, my blogging philosophy. It's been some time, but Lori had posted about not allowing her blogging relationships to replace her need for relationships with those she could connect with in person. (She also blogged about being present with her kids, which is something that is frequently on my mind.) And Carol blogged last week with her thirteen tips (and there were 13 number 13's which I thought was a hoot) for new bloggers as well as some of the following questions related to blogging:

--How do find the blogs you read regularly? Through other bloggers' recommendations? Their sidebar links? Search engines? Through comments left on your blog? Something else?

-- When you leave a comment, do you frequently return to that post to check for the author's response?

-- What types of situations might cause you to stop reading a blog that you once enjoyed?, and more... (No, I do not know how to get you to the exact post. Just scroll down on her blog and you will see it.)

Both posts are well worth the read, but it got me to thinking. When (for me) is blogging too much of a priority in my life? I could spend all day trying to be the "perfect" blogger. Leaving the right comments, trackback, linking to others etc, has my mind spinning a bit. How often do I check my e-mail to see if someone commented? I seem to spend a lot of time trying to write something that is funny, spiritual, touching or all three! This is okay if you are a writer who has a quick witty style. I just don't.

I recently ordered a new blog skin for my site, and was going to get an blog counter (or whatever you call it), but I realized I would be in too deep if I did that. Suddenly there would be a quantifier on my blogging relationships. Because it does matter to me who visits, comments and how many times. It matters to me if what I write is perceived as good or funny or touching by others. I wanted to have this "really cute blog" with new skin, but I realized that the relationships on the other side of this screen are starting to matter to me as much (if not more) as those I have on the other side of the door.

Therefore, I have a created a blogging philosophy or mission statement if you will. Since I do enjoy blogging and the relationships I have built through it, and want to continue on, but not at the sacrifice of what I need to be doing outside of my blog, my personal statement is as follows:

It is my desire to use my blog to Glorify God, create an account of my life with Terry and the girls so they can look back one day and read all of the wonderful, silly, amazing things God has done for us and others, relate to other bloggers in way only blogging can allow, and pray God will bless me with amazing friendships through this community I might not have otherwise had. I will not be so into blogging that I don't meet the people in my neighborhood; take time away from the girls or Terry; become obsessive about the details of my blog. ie: numbers.

Please note: This was not intended to be a tap on the shoulder for anyone. I just happen to struggle with these issues and saw it getting out of hand. I am still changing the name of my blog. TBA Soon!





8 comments:

Lori Bailey said...

I'm glad you're still blogging, Robin. I've often said that you are the least pretentious person I know. When I read your blog I get such a lift from your lighthearted spirit and down-to-earth attitude.

But I can certainly relate on the priorities thing - in my mind (and on my blog) there's nothing wrong with sporadic posting!

PEZmama said...

I feel your pain, girl. I feel your pain.

I have been wanting to do a post about my thoughts on blogging for a while. But they are many, and I just haven't had time to do it. Suffice to say that I struggle this too. It concerns me most when my blog relationships mean more to me than the ones I have (or could be developing) IRL. I like your mission statement. Do you have any specific "rules" that keep you on target with it? Because that is what's hardest for me.

Sarah said...

Robin, I was listening to the message from this weekend; Ed hit right on it when he talked about the Tech-no, saying no to technology when it starts to consume us. I can see how easy it is to get addicted to who comments, etc, etc. This is a great post:)

BooMama said...

Great post, Robin. I think you hit on why I have to "pull back" from blogging every once in a while. It's tough balance - I started off blogging for my friends and family, so we could "stay connected" - I never, ever expected to make friends. So when I feel myself thinking more about writing about my life than living my life, I pull back. It helps a lot. But you're right - it IS a community - and that has taken me by surprise in the most delightful ways. :-)

Kristina P (Live Each Moment) said...

well i must say that i enjoy reading your blog. also i recently changed the name and look of my blog. have a wonderful week.

flipflop said...

I love that last paragraph! Perfect!

Addie said...

That is perfect! I am constantly balancing this in my life. Great statement!

Carol said...

Just now found this post through the Technorati, of all places. Thank you for offering your thoughts. I totally support your resolve to focus more on your writing than on your look or numbers.

Blog on!