Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Things I Have Learned From My Fast

1) Find all day play dates for the kids so you don't have to feed them and then clean up the leftovers.

2) Even with all the fat I have on my body, it will not sustain me contentedly through a day of not eating.

3) You will resort to whatever means necessary to keep your mind off of food. (Letting your four year old make her own lunch and dinner for example.)

4) I would make a terrible anorexic.

5) It is not mean to make your dog fast with you. She did fine although I think she was secretly pilfering the food Reese left --well anywhere.

6)I think I prayed that God would make the day go by faster almost as much as I prayed for what I was supposed to be praying for. But I did pray and that was the point!

7) You spend quite a bit of your day thinking about what you will binge on at exactly 7pm.

8) There will be at least one time when you are feeling ok and not hungry when you put a goldfish in your mouth out of sheer habit. Okay, maybe two goldfish.

9)You will be grateful for the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross and be thankful for the blessings, especially of food, he brings to you on a daily basis.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm adding #10 for you:

I will have all sorts of things to blog about during this day of not eating. And they will be funny. And other people will read them (while happily eating) and laugh out loud, secretly thankful they're not fasting with you.

The day's over, so pig out! (Gee, do I sound spiritual, or what??)

Leslie said...

I did a five day fast. (fruit juices allowed, but in moderation) I think for me (because I'm a little slow) most of what I learned came afterwards. For one thing I think the fast prepared me for what lay ahead (two deaths in the family and a rather sudden move.) I had practiced my reliance upon God and that helped me when I really needed it.

All that being said, I think disciplines like solitude (not really hard for me), fasting (much harder), giving (ummm . . . comes and goes), etc. help me exercise my reliance upon God. They make me available for him to change me.

My initial thoughts on fasting were that it was boring--I didn't feel like I had anything to do. Which told me I spent a lot of my day eating!

One other thing, Eric agreed to help me in my fast. This was much appreciated

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Robin, Sarah and I looked all over your blogsite on the phone together - how techno is that?! We looked at all your photos, and I stand corrected. You are NOT blonde, youre adorable auburn/brunette. We were there after Cade was born, 9/11 had just happened and I met you in her kitchen. Maybe I was just a bit brain dead. To redeem myself I saw your photo on your blogsite and knew it was you - I just blew the hair color. Sorry. Nice moving photo show by the way - no idea how you do that but very cool. Please tell me its because youre married to a techno wizard and didnt just sit down and figure that out by yourself....

Addie said...

Great lessons! I'm proud of you for sticking to it (the goldfish don't count), I find fasting hard. But...I guess that's the point, eh? I'll be keeping you guys in prayer. Your church has been such a blessing to ours and so many others. Can't wait to hear all about your new Uptown location!

Kristina P (Live Each Moment) said...

i've never been good at fasting. i suppose i don't quite understand it, and don't understand it's effectiveness.

theresa said...

Way to go Girl! You made it!! I was so laughing out loud at number 8! I can so hear you saying that. You're adorable and I miss you so much. Okay now I'm crying I've got to go...

theresa said...

Okay sorry about that...now I know why you have so many posts today - at least you gave all the rest of us something to do! Thanks!

P.S. I'm going to kill my husband for not taking us (the girls) with him to your casa this week.

Robin said...

Sarah, Thanks for thinking this was funny. I'm pretty sure I was delirious.

Leslie, I had a friend do a 40 day friut/fruit juice fast once. I guess she had significant spiritual benefits. Personally, all I saw was her loose like 25 pounds.

Bev, let me assure you Sarah has figured out more on her blog on her own than I have in a year! Thank goodness for a techie hubbie! BTW, I have no idea what my natural color hair is and I have no intention of finding out. I know it includes tons of grey.

Theresa, what can I say? I can't wait for you to be home!

Barb said...

OK, maybe I'm weird but my immediate thought when I read #8 was how on earth is she going to explain the missing pets to her kids?

Michelle said...

ROFL! I loved this one! Been there, feel with you.