Thursday, May 18, 2006

Gran's Playdough

The girls and I love to make our own playdough. And recently McCormick's came out with Neon colored food coloring. (Is that redundant?) Anyhoo, I thought I would share the best playdough recipe with you guys. It's my mother in law's who teaches preschool.

1 tbsp of alum
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
2 tbsp of oil
food coloring of your choice

Microwave the water, oil and coloring until boiling, about 1.5 min in my micro. Add to already mixed dry ingredients. Mix and knead thoroughly--use a spoon at first, it's hot as the dickens. Cool completely before storing in ziplock bag. It will last forever as long as you keep it stored correctly.

Voila! Also, I added vanilla extract this time and boy did it smell like pruty purkle playdough.

7 comments:

theresa said...

k, dumb question here...but what in the heck is "alum"?

Robin said...

I don't know, but you find it in the spice aisle. Ok, is that how you spell aisle? It looks wierd.

BooMama said...

Guess what we'll be making around here when I have the strength - oh, sweet mercy, the strength - to take on this project with A.? He will LOVE THIS, Robin - I'll let you know how it goes.

And yeah, alum? Never heard of it. But I'll be on the lookout.

Sarah said...

Neon food coloring? That's so fun! Where can I get some? (So I can make play-doh in all my spare time!!) And someday, when my life is normal again, we'll get together and play-doh!!

Leslie said...

That is so cool. My mom has a playdoh recipe. It is written by the woman who used to babysit me as a kid. It even says, "Leslie really likes to play with playdoh."

My mom kept that piece of paper.

Kristina P (Live Each Moment) said...

thanks for the recipe. i'll have to try it when josiah is older.

Everyday Mommy said...

Had to stop by after seeing your comment at Rocks in My Dryer about your Paula Deen obsession. Me, too! In truth, I have an alter ego and her name is Paula Deen. I blogged about her not long ago. Just add a stick a' butta'.

I wanna' go to Savannah!!