Thursday, May 18, 2006

For the Love of Cleaning

(This one is for Bev. Sorry it took me so long!)

I know there are people who love to clean or at the very least compelled by their own OCD tendencies to do it and do it often. I neither love it or have OCD. However, I do love it when my house is clean. With a 18 month old and 4 1/2 yr old, it doesn't stay that way for long. I spend most of my day picking up little messes just so by 5 p.m. it won't look like four tornadoes have simultaneously whipped through my house. Of course, I'd rather be outside playing or running errands. I guess if we did that more my house would stay clean? Hmmm, food for thought.

So here's how I keep my house somewhat together. First of all, let me state for the record that I do have a husband who is a little anal and really likes a clean house. (Boy, did he marry the wrong person for that!) And, he is happy to pay for it--literally. We have a group of ladies that comes every other Tuesday to do the floors, windows, baseboards etc.; those things that would rarely get done since I am spending most of my time just keeping up with the girls. One day they will get these special duties as chores! (Yeah, I know. There are lots of women who still manage to do it all with more than two kids.)

In between cleanings I do sweep and vacuum at least once and use the following products when I do real cleaning: Magic Eraser (a must have for any parent of a small child), Febreeze (I absolutely cannot stand the dog smell), 409 for the countertops and tables.

I do have a plethora of cleaning bottles in my garage for those just in case moments, but I don't know what they are anymore. I know I will have to drag them out eventually. The girls won't be little forever. For now I will enjoy this little break from real cleaning!

4 comments:

Barb said...

Anyone who febrezes their dog is my kind of girl! It so works! And how lucky you are to have hired help. I don't need it now but it would have been a huge help when my girls were little. My house was a trainwreck.

Great post!

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Why didn't they have Magic Eraser when my kids were little? Would have prevented a lot of muttering/cursing under my breath...

Febreeze - fabulous! Makes anything smell better. And don't beat yourself up - anybody can clean, nobody else can be mommy to your kids and youre just flat blessed for him to know that, so enjoy it. Do more important stuff.

Addie said...

First Barb...I love to hear that at least at one time your house was a trainwreck!

And Robin, I think this is one of the best "works-for-me"! I love it! ;-)

kellygirl said...

wow...it is amazing how us stay at home mom's have so much in common. I have 4 kids and it is a constant battle. keeping the house in order, that is. but as i blogged today, i felt the Lord was encouraging me not to grow weary in doing good. and taking care of my home, hubby and chidren is good. it is very good. keep up the good work!