Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Meal For You

Ok, I am going to post one of my favorite meals. I would like for you to do the same either in the comments or on your on blog and let me know! It has to be easy, taste good, as few ingredients as possible, and as healthy as possible. I know, it's a tall order. Notice I didn't say "completely healthy", just as close as you can get. I posted this on Sarah's comments a few days ago, and originally got it from Holly; I think it bears repeating! And yes, this is a sneaky way of adding recipes to my cookbook.

Salsa Chicken

Put as many frozed chicken breasts in a crockpot as you need.
Salt and Pepper as desired.
Cover liberally with Salsa--we use "On the Border"
Cook on low for 6-7 Hours--if you're using more than 4-5 breasts, cook on high
About an hour before you want to eat, top with shredded cheese of your choosing--we use monterey jack
Serve with a few chips and sour cream or rice if you are trying to be very healthy.
Also, feel free to top with some fresh cilantro. It looks nice and tastes pretty good too.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Speak of the devil! (Wow, that looks so bad in print!!) I'm making it right now, but with a twist--I used all our leftover fondue meat, steak and chicken, cubed, instead of chicken breasts. I'm hoping it works out; I couldn't bear to waste that much meat. I'll let you know how it turns out:) Thanks for the recipe!

Shelley said...

The Ritz Cracker Recipe

4 boneless chicken breasts or pork chops
Finely crushed Ritz crackers (will take at least 12, probably more)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Salt and pepper the meat. Coat with oil. Dredge in crushed crackers. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil (for easy clean up). Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

If you go for chicken strips, then just cook about 20 minutes.

Good with standard veggies. And my 3 year old will eat it. He likes to help me crush the crackers.

Rachel said...

Sounds great! I have done this in the oven, but not the crock pot. Even easier! I will do this very soon

praynlady said...

Robin, my meal is an all in one! SIMPLE SIMPLE and delicious too!
(my recipe is based on a meal for about 8 people as I like to have leftovers of this one so that I can eat it several times a day and even for lunch the next day)

I boil 16 (HEB brand) chicken tenders. Remove them from the water and dump in about 8-10 cups of the tri colored swirly pasta (orange, green and white). Boil till done. In a large (very large) bowl, tear or cut up the chicken, add salt and pepper to taste, I add onion and garlic powder as well. When the noodles are done, drain them and place noodles into the bowl, add 2 cups Zesty Italian Salad Dressing and a small can of chopped olives. I don't like olives so I use about a 1/2 a can. I actually hate olives but they make the flavor right. Stir until all chicken and pasta are coated with the dressing. Serve cold or hot with some french bread or a salad.

Anne Jackson said...

The "We're Poor, Let's Throw Stuff in a Pot" Recipe (serves 2-3)

=======
1/2 bag of Mezzi Nubetti Noodles from Target (the short, nubby noodles)

1 jar of Ragu Light Parmesan Alfredo Sauce

1/4-1/2 bag of frozen peas & carrots (more or less depending on how much you want)

2-3 servings of your white meat of choice (we like tuna if it's before payday, Smart chicken after)

=======

Boil noodles in water until cooked, and drain

(cook chicken while noodles are boiling if you use chicken)

cook veggies until soft (i like to simmer them in white cooking wine instead of water, it adds a great flavor)

add cut up chicken or tuna to noodles

stir in meat, veggies, and sauce into noodles

keep on low-med heat while stirring until sauce is warm

serve!

=======

also great cold (leftovers!)

Blessed Beyond Measure said...

Robin, this sounds so great - we use the crockpot at least 2x a week or eating is hopeless. My husband will love love Salsa Chicken. xooxo