Saturday, April 22, 2006

LBY: Week #4: Joy

I think I am a pretty joyful person. I even called a friend to double check so I wouldn't be making a fool of myself by putting that in my post. And as we were discussing this whole joy thing I realized that I pretty much live in a bubble. Those were actually her words, but she was right. (I love friends who love you enough to be completely honest.)

I am very fortunate that I accepted Christ at an early age (7) and even though I would spend years not understanding how to continue past that initial step and making many missteps, God always protected his prodigal daughter waiting for her to come home. I see after this weeks homework, it's not so much that I am not joyful as I am not joyful for the reasons I really should be.

Considering what my life has been like, (by that I mean pretty easy) I should be standing on my roof every morning at 7am shouting about the good news of Jesus Christ. I should be one of those people that others look at and think, "I want what she's got." For me it has got to get past the joy I have because God has blessed me, but the joy that comes from God having saved me--from life, from death, from hell. (definitely don't want to go there.) I seem to take God for granted all to often. I'm so used to seeing him in the earthquake and great miracle that I often miss him when he comes in a gentle whisper--like my daily housework.

I need to have a life filled with joy simply because of the grace to God who wrote my name in his book from the beginning of time. I have loved God for a long time now, and he has loved me for even longer.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

Robin- I say ditto, ditto, ditto. You put into words what I was feeling exactly! I pray I will hear Him whisper in my daily life and be joyful because of what I am saved from!

Rachel said...

And I am a slacker too this week. I just posted tonight.

Faith said...

Beautifully said!

I, too am a slacker(hangs head in shame). I MAY post on for this week, I may not! :(

eph2810 said...

LOL - okay - maybe we need to all stand on top of our roofs to proclaim out loud. I think that is a great idea.:)
For me Psalm 51:12 came to mind starting the homework and I need to pray that every morning to be reminded where the true joy comes from - HIS salvation...Thank you for sharing your thoughts :)

Addie said...

I think that was a big part of what I had to take from it too! I'm a pretty happy person, but I don't really tap into the joy of the Lord like I should. I think when you're a happy person, and have a lot to be thankful for, it's a lot easier to not be so DESPERATE for His joy.

Great post, thanks for sticking with it those 4 or 5 times for our benefit! :)

BooMama said...

Ditto what Addie said. And I love love LOVE your last line.

janice said...

"I need to have a life filled with joy simply because of the grace to God who wrote my name in his book from the beginning of time. I have loved God for a long time now, and he has loved me for even longer."
- great point!! so true!!

Nancy said...

My life sounds similar. Sometimes I wish I had a big "fancy" story to tell of my accepting Christ, but the comfort of growing up with Him "hanging around" has its benefits too.
: )

Kristina P (Live Each Moment) said...

I know you are doing LBY but thought I'd let you know.Amanda had a great idea of some of us doing the Bible Study of John together online. Just reading through John and posting to hold each other accountable. Make sure and visit her site, she's in charge. So be sure to let her know if you want to jump in on this opportunity.

Read her post on John Bible Study and also this post on John Bible Study for more information.

Lauren said...

"For me it has got to get past the joy I have because God has blessed me, but the joy that comes from God having saved me--from life, from death, from hell." Loved this point you made. I enjoyed reading your thoughts, great post.

Kim said...

Hi there :o) I came across your blog on a search for other christian moms. I agree with what you said. Its so strange because God has been really driving this same point home to *me* this month. I've been in tears just about every day this month (and I am not a crying kinda person, ha) because I have not been working very hard to reach others for Christ. I live in a bubble too..so easy to get satisfied with just going to church and getting together for playdates with other church mom friends. I'm rambling on here...sorry! Just wanted to say hello and that I am bookmarking your blog. :o)

Kim