Sunday, March 19, 2006

Kitchen Talk Tag

I was tagged by Theresa, and here goes!

1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family?

We eat about 6 out of seven. There are 4 of us; I would say Reese doesn't count but she eats as much as Reia now!

2. How many cookbooks do you own?

I got rid of so many when we moved, but I still have about 50-60. Yes, I am a recipe addict.

3. How often do you refer to a cookbook each week?

Probably 5 out of 6 times for actual meals, but I am looking through them every day for one reason or another.

4. Do you collect recipes from other sources? If so, what are some of your favorite sources (relaties, friends, magazines, advertisements, packages, the internet, etc)

I usually collect them from the Internet ( www.allrecipes.com) or Food Network. I love to get them from magazines too. (esp. Southern Living)

5. How do you store those recipes?

They are printed or torn out of magazines and then stuffed into by ever widening binder. No trim and folding here!

6. When you cook, do you follow the recipe pretty closely, or do you use recipes primarily to give you ideas?

99% of the time I do it exactly unless I'm in a pinch and forgot to pick up an ingedient. I'll call several sources to see if I can do without it and then add more cheese. Everything is better with more cheese or butter! If it's a really impt ingedient, then I make something else.

7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it?

I make a mixture of American, Italian and Mexican. Never two styles in a row and I try not to make the same meat two nights in row either. I am so not anal, but when it comes to meal planning and making the bed--I like things a certain way.

8. What’s your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation? (eating the finished product does not count)

Meal Planning of course! I plan two weeks at a time and do one major grocery trip at first and then realize I have forgotten at least one thing from every meal and have to make a quick trip every other day or so.

9. What’s your least favorite part?

Clean Up! I have to ditto Theresa on this one.

10. Do you plan menus before you shop?

Again, I plan two weeks at a time. Along with the previous mentioned guidelines, we don't have anything twice within a month except Pizza (Sat nights) or talapia (the only fish I'll eat) and both of those are once a week. I try to make at least one meal a week that we eat on for two nights (lasagna) and at least one very easy meal (tacos). When the maid comes, we have takeout because I don't like to mess up my newly, deeply cleaned kitchen. Whew! Got all that?

11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances?

1) my chef's knife 2) Pampered Chef Stoneware Bar Pan (I'd be lost without it.) 3) my recipe books

12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have?

A larger dishwasher. I am very fortunate that the previous owners of this home went all out when remodeling the kitchen. It came with a pot filler and a 190 degree automatic water source! The dishwasher is the only thing that is not as good as my last one, but only in the way of size. Or, the live in chef would be nice!

3. Since money and space probably are objects, what are you most likely to buy next?

I really want the new George Forman grill with the interchangeable, removeable, dishwashable plates. Panini's, quesadillas, waffles, grilled chicken and veggies...way yum-o!

14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage?

Yes. Let's all take a moment in a prayer of thanks for it.

15. Grocery shop alone or with others?

Alone. And I'll go at midnight to do it if that's what it takes. I love my little Reese, but she's a major whip at the store right now. Later I'll go alone just so I don't have to listen to, "Mom, can I have..."

16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week?

Once a week. My meatless meals aren't my favorite, but I'm still looking!

17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it? Favorite kitchen colors?

No theme. Just warm traditional colors. Our kitchen is in an older home where we don't have all the fancy plant shelves to decorate on.

18. What’s the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you?

Macaroni and Cheese--from a box. Does that count? I was probably 7, but I still love it.

19. How did you learn to cook?

My mom is a fabulous cook, but really I learned because Terry got sick of baked chicken, rice and a veggie every night after we were married. Thank goodness for food network and a patient husband!

20. Tag two other people to play.

Holly and Richelle, because if they don't post again soon, I'm going to have to remove them from my bloglines!

1 comment:

theresa said...

Love it...I can't wait for you to cook for us in your new house!