Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dye Job

There are a few things that I just don't attempt to do myself. Coloring my hair is one of them. Everytime I have tried it in the past, I mess it up. Mainly by missing major chunks of my hair because I can't see and can barely reach the back of my head after all. There is also the fact that I have 700 pounds of hair. Yes, I am exaggerating a little, but not much.

The last time I got a hair cut I went for something totally different. Lots of layers and flat-ironing when I want, but still looks ok wavy/curly which is the natural texture of my hair. It's been 8 weeks and I am in severe need of a color, but my cut is growing out so cute, I decided not to have it done. Plus, my hairdresser is about an hour from my house. (Don't ask; and yes, she is THAT good.) So, in the effort to save time and a lot of money, I thought I would give it a shot, again.

After the girls went to bed last night, I started. Was diligent and wrapped a towel around my shoulders and pinned it so as not to get my t-shirt that I liked so much stained. You may be thinking, "Why didn't you just put on a different shirt?" And you would be so much smarter than I am. I haven't done this in a while and should have really thought it through more. Anyway, I am happy to report that it went very well. Having less hair helped so much. Although, even with mid-length hair, I recommend two packs of color.

I felt very well covered with color and had waited the time allotted, and was just about to get into the shower and rinse it off when...you got it. I realized I had to take my t-shirt off. Poot! Sadly, I really anguished over an alternative. There wasn't one, so I did the best I could taking it off over my head. And then threw it in the trash.

I do think it turned out just as well as a professional. I have been watching someone color my hair for years now. And now that quite a bit of my hair is grey, I will continue having it done. But, unless I need something fancy like high-lights or low- lights or green and purple streaks, I think I can handle it on my own. Next time, I'll be wearing a shirt that is already on it's way out though!

No comments: