Saturday, October 01, 2005

34 vs. 17

As I was getting ready last night for Terry and my date night I looked in the mirror and thought about what I was like when I was half my age. Wow! I was different. Not only on the outside, but inside as well.

With age comes a very changing body of course, my body is, well lets just call it fuller! My face is showing signs of age like wrinkles and larger pores. I can't get back in shape in two weeks like I used to. Of course, back then I thought 110 pounds was out of shape--what a hoot.

The thing that I like most about growing older is what has happened to me on the inside though. My self-esteem has always been lacking. I could go back through my childhood and try to figure out why, but really that is just a waste of time. What matters now is God has changed my life, and over time I have become so much more comfortable with who I am and the physical body God has given me.

With a fuller body came two beautiful girls who give me more joy than I could imagine. My face is showing those wrinkles and laugh lines because I LAUGH and have joy in my day with Terry and the antics of a 3 1/2 year old and 11 month old. I can't get back in shape in two weeks mostly because my metabolism has just slowed so much, but also because I don't have time to just focus on me, me, me anymore.

My live has evolved and changed into so much more and I love it. So far, it is definitely better to be 34 than 17!!!


**This post is dedicated to my friends Lidna and Amanda who put up with me when I was 17--and have ever since. Love you girls!

7 comments:

Wen said...

Oh my, you are quite reflective today and in such a heart filling way. I am 35 and seated next to you on the finally-comfortable-in-my-own-skin bus. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about yourself.

Might I have permission to share this post on my blog?

Robin said...

Of course. If I put it out there---it's for all to see! Thanks a bunch!

praynlady said...

Robin, you again have managed to put into words what many of us are feeling and thinking and it warms my heart to know that another one of God's children has realized that He works wonders on us as we grow! Older, wiser and closer to Him! What a post! Thanks,
Colleen

Addie said...

SO TRUE! Life is way better now than then. Great post!

Leslie said...

sometimes I yearn for a younger age. I wish I didn't, but I do. But you know, I don't remember being particularly happy in the midst of my teenage years either. I think you have a great perspective on this. Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

I am 36 and understand too! I had a revelation last year when I actually paid attention to what I saw in the mirror.. and it wasn't what I'd remembered from oh.. 17 years before. LOL.

So true, life is better now, then then!

SkinCareGirl said...

Hello,
I'm new to the blogging thing and ran across your blog:) Very beautifully told. I feel we become wiser as well as more appreciative as we age:) I have two wonderful friends that live Corinth, TX. I grew up in Oklahoma (Go Sooners) hehehe and just moved to CA recently.
Come visit my new blog when you have time. Blessings to you and your family! Leslie