Monday, September 26, 2005

SAHM Tip #2--Establish Order

God is a god of order. It is evident in everything he has created. Order gives our children security and freedom to be, well, kids!

What does order look like? For me it involves several aspects. First is we have a daily routine. Not a schedule with exact times--that would make me neurotic, but it does work for many. We have a general idea of what will happen in our day. Wake up, breakfast, clean the house, playtime, read books/school, lunch, rest time, and so on.

Of course we have days when the routine falls apart, or the park calls our name for several hours. To me, that is one of the best parts of being a SAHM--ultimate flexibility.

Secondly, is the order of my household--ie:clean and de-cluttered! I have to fess up here. Our house is on the market, so it has to stay in a perpetual state of clean. Also, since Reese was born Terry has pampered me with a housekeeper that comes every other week. So, I don't have to worry about the mopping and cleaning the shower. But, it wasn't always like this. So, if you are not a neat-freak by nature, like me, check out the Fly Lady. She will show you how to get your house orderly and de-cluttered (over time) and keep it that way.

This post hasn't been terribly poignant, but just to the point. Mainly because, even though these two things are very important, they are the ones I most struggle with. So, good luck! I know I need it...

3 comments:

Wen said...

God dealt with me on this issue last summer when we were considering a fall schedule of activities. He gently nudged me and said, "hey... all this soccer mom stuff is not what I'm all about." Well not in those words, but that pretty much sums it up. He certainly doesn't want us to be frazzled and over scheduled to the point that we can't keep up with our duties. He wants us to be mindful of responsibilities and be good stewards of a few things... not over booked and over extended.

Psalms 46:10-11 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Shelley said...

I'm really liking your SAHM tips. Thanks!

teachingmum1970 said...

I'm a SAHM from now until mid January then I'm back to full time work as a teacher. Im currently on 9.2 weeks long service leave. I'v found your blog interesting reading!