Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Oh Katrina...

First of all, I am ashamed of my previous post regarding the price of gas--although it does totally stink. After watching the news coverage today of all of the devastation in New Orleans and other places, I realize gas is a small price to pay to have my home in tact, my own bed to sleep in tonight and to know where all of my family is.

I watched as a man recounted the story of his wift letting go of his hand and telling him, "You can't hold me and the kids. Take care of the kids and the grandkids." Then she was gone. He was wandering the streets looking for her, crying. He told the reporter he had nowhere to go when she asked him where he would be if someone watching knew where his wife was. "I have nowhere to go; it was all I had." He was crying, the kids were crying, the reporter was crying--and I was crying.

My heart crys out for the people who are still stuck in their attics. The water is still rising and they could have very little time to live. They can't get out; all they do is call for help. Others hear them and can do nothing until the coast guard or some sort of support arrives.

How often are we reminded of how short life really is and we have no idea when it will end for us. Love Christ! Be bold! Help your neighbor and pray--really, stop right now and pray for those who need help so desperately. You may be the only one to pray for them today or ever.

6 comments:

Shelley said...

Amen, Robin. Amen.

Holly said...

I, too, feel the pain of those people who were left stranded and who are now feeling the brunt of the storm. But my question is, Why did those people not leave when the government told them to evacuate. They had plenty of time to get out of town and to a safe place where they wouldn't have to lose their family members. I just don't understand why they wouldn't leave when they had the chance.

Susie said...

It is so funny that you wrote about the gas prices the same day I was complaining at home to my husband. That night I sat in horror as I watched the footage of all Katrina's devastation. I live on the coast in Corpus Christi and I was just thinking that could have been my home, my family or my friends. I am praying for those hurt and stranded. Oh, about those who were told to leave but didn't, I think the news reported many did not have transportation or money to go anywhere. Also some of the people had special needs which made travel hard to do.
P.S. Robin, I have been reading your blog and your husband's for a few months now. My husband is a music/media pastor. I really enjoy your honesty and humor. May God bless you on your move and your husband's new position.

Tori said...

Holly,

Many of the people that stayed did not have a car or a place to go. Or possibly they could not afford gas to get far enough away. One woman could not find anyone to take her and her dying husband who had cancer and was on oxygen out of the city. Another man was supposed to be picked up by friends who never showed up, he had no car. Surely some stayed that were able to leave. Why? Who knows. Let us keep them all in our prayers and support the relief effort by calling 1-800-HELP-NOW or going to www.redcross.org

Holly said...

That's definitely something I didn't think about...that people might not have been able to leave because they didn't have cars or money to leave. I am still astonished at the news stories showing people being hardheaded when asked to leave though. Thanks for helping me see part of the bigger picture here!

Tori said...

No problem. When I think of a situation I usually think about what I would have done (which in this case would have been pack up my husband, pets, and items that could never be replaced and jump in my SUV and head out.) It is only natural to respond in that way. I am just so sad that some of those people could not leave. For the ones who chose to stay, I am sure they are broken hearted at the decison (if they are still alive). I am so glad our church is helping!