Thursday, July 28, 2005

Parenting Surprises

Reia has gone to her cousin's house to spend the night tonight. So, right now it is just Reese and me in the house. It seems so oddly quiet, and I miss her. I know how crazy that sounds. After all, she's only been gone for four hours. What I forget until she isn't here, is how she and now Reese have become such wonderful daily companions. I still love to call other mommies and their kids for time at the park, Mickey D's or the play area at the mall, but the older the girls get, the more unnecessary it becomes because we have so much fun together.

The girls play with and entertain each other and me. Reia is into asking a million questions every time we drive down the road. (Ok, that really isn't my favorite part, but I am sure God is teaching me a different kind of patience through it.) I try to point out all that God has made and talk to her about it--without giving her cause to embark on a different set of questions which is very challenging. And then there are the moments when I just laugh at something she has said, and mostly because she sounds just like me. For example, if Reese is screaming in the backseat, she will hold her hand and say, "It's ok Reesey; I'm right here."

I guess we never really know what to expect throughout the whole parenting thing. The only thing that stays the same, is the constant change. I truly didn't expect to find two little best friends at my side. What a pleasant surprise!

1 comment:

Addie said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Like you, I have all girls and even though things can get a little wild (and loud) at times, there are those sublimely beautiful moments where you are just in AWE of the gifts that God has given you. They are amazing creatures. Thanks for the reminder!