Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Guest In My Own Home

Have you ever wondered how guests feel in your home? We were having our master bath and bedroom painted yesterday and as things turned out, we were unable to get into either room last night. So, we slept in the guest room and I got ready in the guest bath this morning. Luckily, I had a basket full of toiletries in there, all except shampoo. And, since I can't stand the feeling of dirty hair, I was calling neighbors to see if I could borrow some.

As I was showering, I started wondering how inviting or comfortable our home was for other people and this is what I decided I needed: ALL the various toiletries one needs just in case. Shampoo, conditioner, a spare toothbrush, toothpaste, maybe even a little deodorant. Also, one of those frozen lasagnas in the freezer. It would be nice to be able to feed some last minute guests without having to leave them to go get something. I even thought how nice it would be to have a little guest's journal in the bedroom. They could leave a little thought or verse behind for me or others to enjoy. After all, everyone has some wisdom to share.

Why is all of this important? Well, I know people don't travel quite like Jesus did--relying on the generosity of strangers or friends to house and feed them as they came through town. ("For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in..."Matthew 25:35) But, I do think we are commanded to be hospitable.
"Share with God's people who are in need; practice hospitality." Romans 12:13
"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling." 1 Peter 4:9.

It doesn't say only have people over if you have the biggest or nicest home, or only have others over for dinner if you can cook a five star meal. No, just simply be hospitable. For me this comes to being prepared which brings me back to my original point of having a few extras. A clean set of sheets, a few bathroom items and don't forget the Stouffer's Lasagna! Not fancy, just available.

Feel free to share you favorite tips with me. I always love a new idea!

3 comments:

Pastor Jamila said...

I just had a last minute guest at our home. I had to run to the store and get a few trial size things and put them in a basket.
I also put a card on the night stand accompanied with a candle to welcome her into our home. her towels were folded in the bathroom with some ribbon that i already had around the house. It turned out to be excellent. i did read that if you have any pictures of the family of the person that is staying at your home decorate the room or put some pictures of their loved ones in a frame and sit it next to their bed. it will make them feel very welcome and at home..

Robin said...

I love that idea! We don't receive to many guests. Mainly my mother in law. So her pic is the one on the nightstand. I am sure your guests felt so at home with all the little things provided! I like the idea of the card and candle. I will get a few extras to have on hand on the next trip to the store.

amy said...

These are wonderful thoughts Robin, I love the idea of the spare frozen lasagna! I am learning as I go...any more tips like these are much appreciated!